• Cressi Goa

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Aqua Lung i100

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Aqua Lung i300c

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schenkeli

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone.
I'm looking to buy my first diving computer. My needs when it comes to diving are not very special and practically all standard modells will fullfill them. I do not plan to do any technical diving and since I do not own my own gear I do not need the possibility to connect a wireless transmitter that tells my computer how much is still left in my tank. It would be nice to have a compass on it and to be able to set a depth at which I get a warning independently from the maximum depth I'm allowed to go according to the algorithm, but they are no must-haves.

But what I need is a computer that can also be used for Free diving - so it should have a a free dive mode. And it shouldn't be too big, since I like the feeling of freedom when doing free diving compared to scuba diving.

I have set my eyes on the following models and I thought maybe some of you could give me feedback on these models or propose an alternative:

Suunto D4i / D6i
I could get them used, everybody likes them. But I heared that when it comes to combining scuba and freediving on the same day (two scuba dives in the morning, sime snorkelling and freediving in the afternoon) the computer gets a bit mad and tells you not to go diving again the next day. Something other computers which seperate free diving and scuba diving in their calculations would not do.
(I'm talking about going down for like 5 meters a few times when going snorkelling, not some extreme apnea activities)

Suunto Zoop Novo
My first intuitiv choice as a beginner, but it feels a bit too bulky for free diving

Cressi Goa
Good free diving modus absolutly seperated from the scuba modus

Aqua Lung i100
Great Free Dive Mode without a 24h scuba dive block - but no back light and the one button interface can be a bit hard to navigate

Aqua Lung i300c
I suppose it has the same good seperate free dive mode as the i100 but also a back light. Is it so big that it still feels a bit bulky when going free diving?

My first feeling was that Suunto D4i or D6i would be great because they are watch-sized, but not being able to free dive on the same day as a scuba dive is really not what I want.
So my feeling now is to get either the Cressi Goa or the Aqua Lung i300c.

What do you think guys?
Thanks for your help

There are two types of dive computers that I like: a puck style computer, or a petrel [n]/perdix.
A puck computer is the simple wrist style computer (like the zoop or the i100).
For you, it seems like a simple puck computer will be perfect.

I would cross off the list the d4i/d6i computers, as I find that they are more of a watch than a computer. Underwater I prefer the bigger buttons and a bigger screen. Usually, in scuba, when a product tries to do two things, they tend to do those two things "okay", instead of doing one thing well.

I would group the zoop, i100, and i300 all in the same box. They essentially do the same thing and have pretty much the same features.
The one I would add to the list would be the mares puck pro. Its cheaper than all the other ones you have mentioned, has a backlight, is much less bulky than the aqualung computers, and of course, has a freediving mode. You can find them for around $175 online, and they go on sale for about $125 during the holidays. Its also the one I used for a long time for scuba, and now use as a backup :).

I have a zoop, it’s a good computer at a good price, and is pretty intuitive to use. The algorithm is nit what I would prefer, but I’m also a tec diver so I mostly use a shearwater now.

The zoop allows for Nitrox, is conservative enough, and if you bust ndl will get you up more than safely.

I was in a similar position back a year ago. Looked at all of the entry level dcs that you mentioned above. All good makes. I also worked part time at a local dive shop and could get a reasonable discount on any purchase. After a few months of analyzing, reading, and trying out a few I decided to buy a used Shearwater Petrel 2. The choice was either to spend money on a good quality new entry level DC or spend roughly the same on a used Petrel 2. I really like my Petrel 2 for it's ease of use, visibility underwater and overall support from Shearwater. Plus I believe that the Shearwater's retain a resell value (say roughly 50% of cost) while the entry level DCs do not. Just my experience. Note that there are other real solid used DCs in the market. You may want to consider this as an option particularly if you can buy used from a known (friend, local dive master, etc.) entity. Just my 2 Canadian pennies. :D

I used my teric in free diving mode. It was awesome. Would count down a 2 minute interval before initiating another free dive. No issues diving the next day. It worked well as a watch. And if your needs ever do change it has the oc/cc tech stuff and air integration.

The one I would add to the list would be the mares puck pro. Its cheaper than all the other ones you have mentioned, has a backlight, is much less bulky than the aqualung computers, and of course, has a freediving mode. You can find them for around $175 online, and they go on sale for about $125 during the holidays. Its also the one I used for a long time for scuba, and now use as a backup :).

Hi Stratum, thanks for your post. I also looked at the Mares Puck Pro since it checked a lot of my boxes. But a lot of people said the one-button navigation makes things a bit difficult if you wanna change a setting and see more than the most basic information. I also checked the manual and it doesn't say anything about a free diving mode. It just has a "Bottom Timer" Mode where it does nothing else but showing time and depth. But no free diving specific funtionality.

After a few months of analyzing, reading, and trying out a few I decided to buy a used Shearwater Petrel 2.

Thanks for your comment - but I'm not really looking for a petrel style DC since it is just to big to just quickly throw it on for a bit of free diving or snorkelling.

Back
Top Bottom