dive computer for deaf diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am severely hearing impaired and am looking for a dive computer but i am not familiar with dive computers because they are different in the brands and styles. What is the best brand dive computer for air/nirtox? I appreciate if you give me the best model and brand dive computer? I will be nitroix and techicnal diver with IANTD certification at my college.

Thanks

Jason

Shearwater Predator is an outstanding computer - No sound, only OLED color screen with warnings in yellow and red. Its featured on the ads on on the left and above. It will take you all the way to Trimix CCR if you so choose. I use for OC and CCR NDL diving.

http://www.shearwater.com/

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-22 at 11.58.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-22 at 11.58.27 PM.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I suggest speaking to your IANTD instructor for recommendations or rent one until you have a better understanding of your requirements. These computers are co$$$$tly, make sure you get the right one the first time.

I tech diving you will follow a pre-defined run/plan, thus only needing a depth and bottom timer as a start. Don't rush anything, understand deco and the various algorithms you would like to use and get something that fits that requirement.

Keep in mind that those of is who dive on cold water with thick hoods and normal hearing can't hear the dive computer beeps anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In tech diving you will follow a pre-defined run/plan, thus only needing a depth and bottom timer as a start. Don't rush anything, understand deco and the various algorithms you would like to use and get something that fits that requirement.
For instance the Uwatec 2G fits this description nicely at a reasonable price. There are plenty of computers that can be set in gauge mode. One thing to look for is a second timer function for timing deco stops. Liquid Vision has some of the nicest computers complete with bungee mounts although they charge a lot for their flagship, but the basic bottom timer is reasonable.

Keep in mind that those of is who dive on cold water with thick hoods and normal hearing can't hear the dive computer beeps anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my thinking too. Nearly all the information from dive computer is visual anyway, so hearing should not enter into it. Some alarms can be set and the computer occasionally beeps, but the beeps are not important.

Adam

My Oceanic OC1 has both audible and visual queue if there's any sort of alarm. Obviously I usually notice the audible alarm first, but the flashing red light on the side does get attention fairly easily.

I dive in cold and temperate water. With the hood on, I can't hear any alarm underwater. My dive computer has the pretty flashing red light to tell me that I'm violating something or something important that truly requires my attention. However, don't rely on the idiot light or the idiot noise. If you can't interprete the display and garnish information from it, then you probably shouldn't be diving. The sea is a marsh mistress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom