Dive Computer decision: Uwatec vs Suunto Vyper Air Black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyhokie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Title sums it up. I'm shopping for dive computers for my wife and I for Christmas. I have narrowed it down to an Uwatec (model TBD) or a Suunto Vyper Air Black. The only two things that are "musts" are wrist-mounted and air integration.

I have read countless reviews on each computer and watched several videos.

Any opinions on one versus the other?

Galileo Luna. Very good reputation, very reliable, a little large. The AI on the Sunntos does not seem as reliable as the Luna/sol and being Suunto it is more conservative, which may of may not be an issue for you. Good Luck.

Uwatec!!! I had an uwatec air years ago and now use a suunto. I won't get another suunto unless they give to me for free. They don't respond to my email complaint. So I am apparently not important since I am just a customer.

The conservative nature of the suunto doesn't really concern me. The lack of customer service does.

I have several Suunto devices for hiking, biking, etc and have never had a problem.with customer service. But o understand that suunto dive computers are not owned by the original company.

I have used a suunto cobra and thought it was okay, but not wowed.

No one locally rents uwatecs.

Uwatec!!! I had an uwatec air years ago and now use a suunto. I won't get another suunto unless they give to me for free. They don't respond to my email complaint. So I am apparently not important since I am just a customer.

I just got a Vyper Air and I'm pissed off at Suunto already within just hours of taking it out of the box. Software doesn't work (after purchasing a $75 extra cable) and the compass NEVER will calibrate.

I just got a Vyper Air and I'm pissed off at Suunto already within just hours of taking it out of the box. Software doesn't work (after purchasing a $75 extra cable) and the compass NEVER will calibrate.

I'm sorry to hear that about Suunto. As I mentioned, I have done a LOT with Suunto's wrist top running, hiking, and general use computers and never had a problem. I know Suunto doesn't distribute their products in the US but they go through a [well-known] vendor. I wonder if that's where some of the issue(s) come from.

I have not used to suunto, but I do own the Luna. The only complaint that I have is that it looses pressure signal often. It did it so much, that I disabled the alarm so it would stop confusing the students. Besides this I think it is an awesome computer, and I love the pc interface and the amount of data available post dive.

I would go with the Vyper Air I think the batteries will be easier to find. My software and cable work just fine right out of the box.

I have owned a few Uwatecs (Air-X and Air-Z Nitrox, and the Smartcom) and the Suunto D9. I don't like the Uwatec user interface, even after having grown accustomed to it. Have they changed it, or do they still require you to bridge contacts? Suunto's is a lot more intuitive—you will be immediately comfortable with it.

Uwatecs have had a spotty record of support for discontinued models. If the batteries aren't user serviceable you may be out of luck when it dies (I have never changed a battery, I gave them away and upgraded). Some Uwatecs had sudden battery loss. One day it would read 42% and the next day it would be dead.

I preferred the Uwatec logging software to Suunto's, but Suunto's is adequate. The infrared dongle was ridiculously expensive and a little bit touchy in operation. Do they ill use that? Hopefully the technology has improved. The Suunto cable is trouble free.

If I had to choose between a Suunto and an Uwatec, I'd choose Suunto, but my next computer will probably be an Atomic Cobalt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom