Dive Centre + Accommodation for Ningaloo Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for a convenient 'resort' which has a Dive centre with on-site accommodation in the Coral Bay / Exmouth area of Wetsern Australia. Obviously, this is to facilitate diving in the Ningaloo Reef. I plan to stay about 5 nights but I need a dive centre which does daily boat trips and covers different sites.

The web information on dive centres in the Coral Bay area seems to be confusing. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm there right now - you will not go wrong with Exmouth Dive Centre - just great - had a 'best ever' with them on Monday at Lighthouse Bay. See the posting on this forum for the report.

It was so good, I went to the same site - Blizzard Ridge - the next day. There are a couple of camp sites with some chalet accom close by whic are pretty cheap... But... I asked Fiona - a cool instructor - and she advised me to call the shop and ask them where they would recommend for the intended holiday period.

I'm staying at the Novotel - about 5 mins drive out of town - really good... Luxurious really as reflected by their prices.

I hear The Lodge is good but it's not attached to the dive shop.

But I really wouldn't worry about being right next to the dive shop - they collect and take you home from where ever you're staying.

Today I dived the Navy Pier - this is reputed to be a top 10 world class dive - I'm not surprised - bloody awesome. A very very close second to Blizzard Reef. The rights to diving on the pier are currently with Whaleshark 'n' Dive - so you will have to book this separately with them. Do it!

it seems to me rhat EDC are the best for booking dives in Exmouth and its WnD for the pier.

if you gave any qu's please post them on this thread - cos I was in your situation - a bit confused about how things run here also - it will help others.

anyone else thinking about Exmouth should nit hesitate to come here - for me, this last week was better than my dive trip to Fiji.

i have no affiliation to either diving outfit - I'm just a punter. The only thing I did was to buy EDC a few beers to thank them for their hard work and great service. But just tell them 'full face Mark' sent ya! (Obviously cos I was wearing my ffm!)

Thanks Liam. Actually, I have not yet planned when I am going, but I definitely am going. Most likely it will be in September-October 2015. I know that it is very far away but I am combining Ningaloo Reef with liveaboard diving of the Rowley Shoals and as you know those boats can get suddenly full if a group books a trip.

In fact, that is another problem I have - getting from Coral Bay / Exmouth to Broome. As of now Skywest have cancelled their Exmouth-Broome flights and Greyhound have stopped their bus link between the two towns. But the lady from West Oz Tourism who replied to my mail indicated that there was every possibility that by 2015 there could be some sort of public service between them. I don't fancy driving for 16 hours, even with an overnight stop in Port Hedland.

As things stand, the only way to get from Coral Bay to Broome seems to be to fly back to Perth and take the Broome flight. I have made a provisional itinerary around it.

What are the locals saying about it?

OK, 2015 is far too far away to offer anything concrete because things change rapidly here sometimes, even from season to season.

Yes, getting to Broome now is a pita. check Qantas - but you'll likely route through Perth anyway. And know that a booking that far out is going to change so keep in mind you'll want a few extra days up your sleeve as they cancel flights and change schedules so nothign matches up :) I wouldn't hold my breath for a "public service"...

Mark is spot on for not worrying about accommodation being attached to a dive centre, really. Everyone picks up and drops off, no fuss. And there is likely to be a new player or two for accommodation in two years here in Exmouth.

Coral Bay is the same.

I'd do two-three days in Coral Bay for diving & manta rays with 4-5 days diving in Exmouth. If you are only doing five nights, stay in Exmouth and do Coral Bay on a different trip, imo. If you hire a car you could get away with one or two nights in Coral Bay and then four or three nights in Exmouth - but it's a long way to travel to do that.

Can't remember when the pier comes up for tender again so the current company may not be the company that will have it in 2015. Like I said, there are a lot of changes happening and so anything said here today might not be relevant or accurate in two seasons. Best to make just the basic plans first if you have to plan so far ahead and then fill in the details closer to your travel date. You won't have any problem with leaving things until one or two months in advance for that time of year, accomm & diving-wise.

I'm always available via PM to answer questions or bounce ideas around with if need be :)

If you can swing Rowley Shoals, its worth the effort.

Rowley Shoals on a liveaboard are the main reason for the trip (that's why the early October timing) and I hope that the 2 liveaboard boats doing the cruise there are still around by 2015. But I thought that since I am going all the way to Western Oz and landing in Perth, I might try to include Ningaloo Reef in the itinerary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom