Dive Canoe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1

GDI Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Testing time tomorrow.
Just finished getting all the flotation installed.
Should be interesting. I tested it in my pool now it's time in open water.
Here's a pic I'll be taking more when I est it in the water.

is there beer in the ice chest? You got to remeber the beer. What did you make the float out of?

diverrick:
is there beer in the ice chest? You got to remeber the beer. What did you make the float out of?
The out riggers are 4 " thin walled pvc filled with foam, the frame work is scrap aluminum I picked up for next to nothing. Under the set up platform I mounted a old plastic boat gas tank filled with foam I got from a junk yard for $2. Under each seat is a float ball and then theres the foam thats in each end at the factory. I filled it full of water in the pool and it didn't sink with me and my wife in it. It weighs around 90 lbs with out any gear in it.

Very interesting. Be sure to post a report & let us know how it worked out!

Test was good. I need to make some small changes. Out rigger worked great for stabilizing the canoe. Getting to the water was a bit hard. Getting back to the truck was even harder. Diving from the canoe was easy. Paddled out about 200 meters dropped the anchor geared up did a back roll into the water followed the line down and used the anchor line to tow the canoe behind. It was surprising easy to tow. Stayed down for around an hour Let go of the anchor and surfaced.
Getting back in the canoe was real easy. I clipped of the gear to the out rigger frame work kicked once pulled up and I was in. Pulled the gear in and the anchor and paddled back in. To be honest the trip to and from the water was a bit much.
The sand was to soft. At a place like Venice not worth the work unless your going to go out further than the normal dive area. I'm going to change the wheels on the cart and try in again to see if it makes a difference. A second diver would have made it easier too. But diving from the canoe is worth it.

Cool rig.

I must caution you, boat modifying can lead to boatbuilding and there is rarely any recovery.

Small multihull boats often make great dive boats.

Great idea! Speaking of which..... does anyone know of any boat plans for a paddle powered dive boat? I've built a couple tack and tape designs from H.H. Payson, but that was before I thought of diving from one.

D.C.C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom