Dive Cancellation Policies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone,

We had to cancel our trip in Nov. due to the hurricane. The hotel in Playa del Carmen's roof was blown off along with the rest of the terrible disaster. The dive shop I booked won't refund me the deposit - is that common? If it isn't, I'll dispute it. They said it wasn't their fault the hurricane hit. We're going back in April or early May after knee surgery in late December when I have okay from Dr. Deposits in Mexico were totally refunded. Even the condo we rented on Am. Caye wouldn't refund a dime - however we would still stay there. What's your opinons and experiences?

If the Dive Operator is still able to take you out to dive, then I suppose he can get away with it. I always do Trip Insurance when I leave the country, for a number of reasons. Did you, and would they cover this?

I don't understand how Amergris Caye got in on this tho?

All comes down to the dive operation and the laws in the area.

Sounds to me like the shop that set up the trip is failing to provide what he contracted to provide. I have had a number of dive trips canceled due to weather and have always received a full refund from the dive shop that set up the trip.

If not covered by the fine print in the receipt for the deposit it normally comes down to who is doing the cancelling and how many independent transactions there are.

It sounds like you set up 2 independent deals, one with a dive operator and one for accomodation. The accomodation supplier is unable to provide the contracted service and so should refund you and possibly even compensate you according to the local laws or whatever is in the contract.
You however are the one wanting to cancel the deal with the dive operator because you no longer have accomodation. As he says, he has nothing to do with the accomodation deal. Normally you would lose your deposit unless there are cancellation terms stipulated in the contract you signed.

In my experience most reputable dive operators will give a full refund unless you are cancelling just for your own convenience.
I know of a few cases where a friend has paid a full week's diving in advance and then had a problem, like illness or a broken arm etc and the dive op has made a full refund once the reason was documented/proven.

Of course, if you contracted this trip within the scope of a single contract then you have a better case.

Id be more tempted to side with the shop here. If diving is booked in advance and a deposit paid and there is nothing stopping that shop from going diving then its the customer who cancelled and therefore the deposit should be lost.

As others have said though, things like this are what travel insurance is designed for.

Who did the canceling, you, the dive shop or the someone else. If you cancel, no refund; if the shop or dive operator cancels, definitely a refund. They may offer you an alternative but personally, I'd read the contract real good. Dispute it if you need to and find a different shop to travel with.

I decided to let them keep the depost. They were very nice however they did ask me to go elsewhere for certification. Now I ask the question, shall I go ahead and become certified here or just snorkel since my hubby has exercised induced asthma? We usually go together and he's my best buddie. Help??

scubabear2005:
I decided to let them keep the depost. They were very nice however they did ask me to go elsewhere for certification. Now I ask the question, shall I go ahead and become certified here or just snorkel since my hubby has exercised induced asthma? We usually go together and he's my best buddie. Help??
Get certified ASAP...! :D

We're staying at the same condo when we'll rebook his trip next year. The dive operation was done separately and in fact came highly recommended locally. If it hadn't been for the hurricane hitting the Maya Riviera, we would never have cancelled. We were all set to go. The transaction was done by internet,- next time I'll buy travel insurance. I've travelled through Europe and Canada with no problems. This was my first experience with a refund problem. Of course there never was a cause for a refund nor cancellation before. Perhaps it wasn't met to be. Win some, loose some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom