Dive camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

askdjasd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Super crazy super noob here.
Affordable
great shots
decent housing
local shops

please inform me! :)

I bought a Canon G-11 with the Canon housing and am very happy with the camera. Takes a bit aof a learning curve to get the right exposures for underwater but I've been practicing on land so next time underwater I'll have it down. :) I understand that Fish-eye makes a wide angle adapter lens for the Canon housing that I am anxious to get and try out.

I went with the Canon powershot G10 and cannon housing. (I bought before the G11). I like it a lot, getting great photos without much skill :wink:

I'd definitely recommend the power shot G10/G11 (possibly G12 if it's been released) with a canon case if that's within your budget.

I've got the fantasea bigeye lens for it (Same as the newer G11 case uses), but I'm not overly impressed with it. But I might still need to play with a bit to figure out how to set up good shots.

some west coast photos with that camera: (most with strobes, the last couple of posts are without external strobe)

dive.roko.ca

If you want really cheap, the Intova cameras that some dive shops sell with an underwater case are okay cameras. You can sometimes get them from stores like London Drugs too. My profile pic (the same as is on my blog, the only picture on my blog not taken with the G10) was taken with one of those in Mexico, and my girlfriend's been able to get some good results with hers.

I decided to go simple and cheap for my first camera. I don't regret it at all.
I bought a Panasonic DMC TZ5 from craigslist (there's one posted right now for $170) and a housing from Amazon.com (which is almost local). The camera has enough features that I can muck about with settings and learn how to take decent pics and yet it's cheap enough that if I flood it or lose it I'm not going to cry too much.

Surprisingly the pics and video that I've taken have been quite good. Check out my gallery for a few examples (ScubaBoard Gallery - Sintax604 Gallery)

Usually about 75% of my pics are "keepers".

A few years down the road I'll probably upgrade to something with strobes but for now this is great.

Buy Bayara a case for her camera. Will only cost you $250 or so, and you'll get pictures! No promises that they'll be great, mind you..... But affordable!

Canon G series are good cameras. For those who think you must go out and buy a big $$$ DSLR system and get perfect results have way too much money to burn. Ive seen pics that one would think are from a DSLR but were from a G11. Besides the bulkiness of a DSLR system comes the extra costs associated with ports , cords etc....not to mention the hastle when travelling. Try Mozaik cameras, they are in Vancouver.

Super crazy super noob here.
Affordable
great shots
decent housing
local shops

please inform me! :)
Just got the sealife dc1200 with strobe. Very easy to use and takes great pictures. 've only used the auto setting so far and very happy with it. Most online sites have it for $799 U.S. Check out port hardy trip report for some recent pics or maui trip report in the Hawaii forum.

Back
Top Bottom