Dive buddies in Melbourne Australia :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're more likely to have success finding a buddy on a more local forum like www.diveoz.com.au - The Biggest Site for Australian Scuba Diving Info

Most of the diving in Melbourne happens down at the southern end of Port Phillip Bay, just inside the heads, plus outside the heads in Bass Strait. The major charter operator is Dive Victoria who operate out of Portsea and Queenscliff, so they have both sides of the bay covered. A typical boat dive from a charter operator is $70 to $80 per dive.

Most of the local dive shops have a "dive club" as a commercial arm of their operation. Some do some shore diving around the bay, but mostly use the charter operators.

Then there are plenty of university and other independent, non-profit, dive clubs. I'm a co-founder and member of the Bass Strait Aquatic Club which is a UK BSAC affiliated club - Bass Strait Aquatic Club (BSAC) - who mostly do shore dives and charter boat dives, plus some private boat dives.

I'm also a committee member of the Victorian Sub-Aqua Group (VSAG) - Victorian Sub-Aqua Group (VSAG) - who mostly dive from private member boats where it's $50 for a dive day and typically two dives. But you'll need your own two cylinders (or hire them) to be able to do two dives.

Which company are you going to do your Open Water course with? Because there is one very shonky operator targeting local people in your age group via online coupon deals right now. See Dive-Oz Discussion Forums - We've Gone Virtual!! - A First Time Diving Nightmare I sincerely hope you're not doing your course with that mob.

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom