Dive Boot Funk!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skidoomn

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering how you all clean up your dive boots? I mostly do lake diving right now in MN. But, man those boots stink.

Thanks

Bob

Skidoomn:
Just wondering how you all clean up your dive boots? I mostly do lake diving right now in MN. But, man those boots stink.

Thanks

Bob
Take a 5 Gallon pail, add some HOT water and about 1/4 cup of Listerene. Swish around let soak for about 20 mins.

(Listeren kills germs, which is the cause of odors/bad breath.)

Rinse with fresh water and enjoy!

Why not prevent the stink rather than try to clean it out?

Having spent a few years diving in some stuff you stretch to call water, I can tell you how to keep the gear nice.

As soon as possible after the dive, rinse and DRY your gear.

I use a homemade dryer made from PVC electrical conduit elbows and a box with a fan. The boots fit so that the PVC goes into the toe of the boots with the toe up and the opening down so water will drain. The fan blows air through the tubes to dry the toe area quickly.

This gets the boots dry in a few hours and they just don't get stinky.

Once boots or wet suit is stinky I like 'Sink the Stink', then back to getting the gear dry as soon as possible.

pipedope:
Why not prevent the stink rather than try to clean it out?

Having spent a few years diving in some stuff you stretch to call water, I can tell you how to keep the gear nice.

As soon as possible after the dive, rinse and DRY your gear.

I use a homemade dryer made from PVC electrical conduit elbows and a box with a fan. The boots fit so that the PVC goes into the toe of the boots with the toe up and the opening down so water will drain. The fan blows air through the tubes to dry the toe area quickly.

This gets the boots dry in a few hours and they just don't get stinky.

Once boots or wet suit is stinky I like 'Sink the Stink', then back to getting the gear dry as soon as possible.
Thats intresting pipedope, I seen a boot dryer in Walmart for $25.00. You place the boots over the air tubes and turn it on, no heat but the constant air exchange dries out the boots slowly, which is the proper way for leather workboots. I was thinking about getting one for my workboots but now I guess I could use it for my dive booties as well.

I cant believe I didnt think of that earlier..sometimes its the really obvious stuff that escapes me LOL

The boot dryer from Wally World would probably work great.
We don't usually see those too much here in FL. :D

You don't need or want heat (neoprene and leather both don't like heat), just getting the air moving makes a HUGE difference.

Trust me, in a couple of years of 4-7 diving days a week, the only time my gear got stinky was when I was unable to rinse and dry right after the dive and the gear was wet overnight. YUCK!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom