Dive Boats: What Are 'Yours' Like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ape3ysag.jpg

The Wreck Diver Straits of Machnaic Michigan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sea_experience_II.jpg

Sea Experience from Fort Lauderdale, it sits like 25 to 30+ people. Has a bottom viewer as well. Full blown head for leaks in between the dives. When I was on it in Sept, there was a day when there was I and one more diver and 5 crew members, that was service!

We literally have just about all kinds in Southern CA (LA, OC and SD Counties)

On the small end, we can get a RIB with a captain and no crew (no food, no drinks, etc).

Moving up, there are a few converted Hatteras-style fishing boats (~30-40 foot range) that run a nice six pack

We also have a few nice Hatteras-style fishing boats (~50-60 feet) that run a really nice six pack for multi-day trips

The cattle boats range from ~10-25 people on Newton (or similar) style boats (~40-50 feet). It's not uncommon for these to be full service (food, beverage, blending stations on board, etc).

There are a couple of large liveaboard vessels (~80+ feet) that hold 15-30 divers and do overnight/multiday trips.

In general, diving costs ~$100-$200/day and the sites are fairly close to shore, unless you're going out to the Channel Islands (and then it depends where you're leaving from). The further you go, the bigger the boat and the fewer people on it, the more expensive (and the better the experience).

All these boats look quite luxurious compared with what we have here. For those of you with 2--3 hour rides out to dive sites, I'd say that's a necessity. The ride out to the site is usually about 15 minutes here. The boat will generally come back to shore between dives, although we'll sometimes do a double-tanker (usually when trying to squeeze three dives in before the wind picks up in the afternoon).

Here is a UK south coast day boat.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398116300.629060.jpg
Most have lifts, take 12 divers, skipper and maybe one crew. You usually have to bring full cylinders, a few have compressors. Typically a boat like this costs £600/day or perhaps £50pp on an "individuals" day. More if far off. Normally a club will charter the boat for a day and do a couple of dives, staying out for the surface interval. Tea, coffee is normal, special treats might include cake or hot chocolate.

There are a few bigger liveaboards in Scotland. These provide gas, food, accommodation and satire.

The 12 diver thing is a licensing issue, there are smaller boats as well as RIBs and shuttles which operate on single dive basis, returning for lunch.

UK diving involves some logistical balancing.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here on the eastern end of Erie, this is the "Rolls Royce":

50' with room for up to 30 divers...

Osprey Charters

prices are around $120 for a two tank (two wrecks) charter. Sometimes more for long hauls.

there are some 6 packs around too....

120 bucks for 2 dives, that is insane. I couldn't do a charter every week for that price.

120 bucks for 2 dives, that is insane. I couldn't do a charter every week for that price.

That's about the standard price (includes tip) where I dive, off the NJ coast.

My record was paying $400 for a trip aboard a ~60 foot dive boat, ~12 people total, to a wreck about 70 miles off the coast. I got one dive in before things got too rough for me to be comfortable.
I'm sure a lot of others have had similar experiences...

If I shore dive/Dutch Springs (with membership), after fuel, air, and food, a weekend of diving breaks down to ~$10 a dive give or take a bit.

----------

"My" dive boat; well, I currently crew for a local research/expedition group, so I pay by helping out with maintenance, filming, diving, and video editing.
It's a 42ft Chris Craft Commander, extensively modified for diving.
She'll sleep 8 comfortably(ish), and has a full head with shower.

We usually head out with 4 persons max (total), which is nice. :D

If/when I have money, I always offer to chip in for fuel too!

----------

All the other dive boats in the area range from 40 to 80 feet, and a couple (Garloo comes to mind) even have multiple full decks, not including the bridge!
None of them (that I know of) have lifts.
All the boats here I have been on use the type of rig most often called a "Carolina rig/line" (known by that around here at least) with a line running from the stern quarter, to the anchor line, which is tied in.

On the longer (full day to overnight +) trips, food and drinks are included.

SoCal boats are pretty good. about $100 for two or three dives in a day. Several with compressors on the boat. No in-water DM, you get a trip out (distance depends on location, San Diego Wrecks, Long Beach Oil Rigs, or Channel Islands, or other location), a site briefing, and snacks/light food between dives. No babysitting, little restrictions, very much to my liking.

Oh yea, and these are actual boats. Bench seats, plenty of room for doubles, some with hot water on board, 25+ feet, usually nice and wide so enough room for a bunch of divers. Sheltered area and outdoor area.

$145 for two tank dives here off commercial dive boats which are generally converted lobster/fishing boats but I have friends with boats here I dive off.

As far as types of boats..i like diving from RIBs, have dived bangkas, longtails, dugout canoes, indonesian wooden 6 person pretty bare boats to double story giants in thailand and a luxury private LOB with helipad and airconditioned cabins with DVD players, climate control, helipads, piped music in PNG... I quite like diving out of unusual boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom