Dive Boat and Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCRNA

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to dive Key West with a charter. It's not a live aboard and I wondered what folks do for bringing extra gear on these boats. For instance, do you bring an extra mask in case yours breaks? How do you keep your stuff together? Is that mainly controlled by the boat crew? I'd appreciate suggestions. :jester:

For me, I "try" to remember to bring extras of the essentials:
save-a-dive kit, mask, and if possible fins. I have my kit in either my travel bag, or in a large mesh bag.

If you do a search on "save a dive", you'll be able to see what many of us recommend as things to include. Basically anything that will - well save your dive from being cancelled. eg. o-rings, fin straps, mask straps just to name a few.

I have an idea of what to bring, I just am not sure of where you put stuff on the boat. Do most allow your gear bag or do they just want you to load on your basic stuff so as not to take up much room?

Originally posted by mgreencrna
I have an idea of what to bring, I just am not sure of where you put stuff on the boat. Do most allow your gear bag or do they just want you to load on your basic stuff so as not to take up much room?

On all charters you should take up as little as space as possible. So far I've been on charters where most will allow your gear bag to come along. Only one did they request only stuff that could fit in a medium-sized tub (which they provided) -- however when I explained where I was from, they were nice enough for me to bring my bag - which they stored elsewhere, with only the essentials in the tub.

Take what you need -- for space -- "sort of" count on typical carry one space allowed by airlines. What can fit in a bag under your space on the charter. Most charters have an area where you can also toss a dry bag in (for a change of clothes). If the charter is not full -- you can usually spread out a bit, but train yourself to a small area, and you'll always be happy.

You can bring your gear bag on the boat and you stow it under your seat where you have your tanks set up. A good dive charter will have spare o-rings, etc, but its not a bad idea to bring a save-a-dive kit with a few extra goodies in it. I have never brought an extra mask on a charter. I keep mine in the plastic box that it came in to protect it and have never had it broken on a charter.

I have a mesh bag (my boat bag) that I pack my gear in. Besides my gear I carry a small tool/sav-a-dive kit and a dry bag. The bag with kit and dry bag rolls up and is stowed under a seat on the boat.

You want to take up as little space as possible and keep your gear contained...for the safety of your gear and other divers. That's why hard sided dive bags aren't usually allowed on the boats we use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom