dive bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nalu

Reaction score
I just bought all of my gear and now I need something to put it in.... Can anyone reccomend a bag that is relatively easy to carry and will fit most of my stuff but is compact enough to fit in that tiny space you get on dive boats? Thanks!:froggy:

But there are guys here that roll gear to their car - and load their gear into a Hockey gear bag for the boat. Advantages:

* Soft sides (easy to squash into a small space when empty)

* Long - so likely easy to shoulder down the steep ramp of a dock

* Big - will surely hold everything (except camera and other hoopla that you want in a separate bag anyway

* BRIGHT! Not too tough to find YOUR bag in a sea of black bags.

I hate schlepping my stuff - so I have a hard back roller bag. 4 years, still going strong. Kepp the zippers (on any bag) well waxed - it only takes one day and the zipper will get stuck.

Be sure to bring a dry bag, or a couple of big heavy trash bags - because you'll want to have dry clothes to change into on the way home - and without a dry bag - it will get wet.

Pick up a few large spring clamps. They're great for clamping a wet towel or wetsuit to a rail so it can dry off a bit as the boat motors to the next divesite. I've seen towels blow away.

Measure your fins - many bags are too short for some of the longer fins (Genesis, Atomic, etc.)

Others will chime in - I like the Hocley bag idea. But I live in So Cal - like I know where to get a Hockey bag.

K

I have a Pelican 1650 (used to have a $14 plastic Rubbermaid tub, but it didn't have wheels and I used another $14 device called a luggage dolly thingy from Wal Mart to haul it around on) and I switch over to an Akona mesh backpack for use on the boat. That seems to work ok, but I have noticed a couple tears in the Akona bag and may need to replace it soon.

That being said, if they let me, I will bring the Pelican on the boat if there is room and leave the mesh bag at home.

I use a rubbermaid action packer with lockable lid(I have 4 of them). Inexpensive, like $25 for the 24 gallon model. I have never had a problem on any boats and I fly with it. It also doesn't let everyone know it's full of dive gear.....

I never got the attraction of the whole mesh backpack thing.

My OW LDS hawked a StahlSack mesh backpack on me (like 99% of all Padi OW students I meet)...and I said, duh, OK.

After my first dive, I put it on eBay. I mean, c'mon...why would I put something wet and dripping into a mesh backpack?

I don't get it. Aside from the fact it's likely very profitable (which is a fine enough reason to foist it on students) I just don't get it.

Enlighten me.

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I never got the attraction of the whole mesh backpack thing.

My OW LDS hawked a StahlSack mesh backpack on me (like 99% of all Padi OW students I meet)...and I said, duh, OK.

After my first dive, I put it on eBay. I mean, c'mon...why would I put something wet and dripping into a mesh backpack?

I don't get it. Aside from the fact it's likely very profitable (which is a fine enough reason to foist it on students) I just don't get it.

Enlighten me.

K
I much prefer the pelican or any other wheeled case, but the mesh backpack works well when I am on a boat that has really small storage areas for each diver and the pelican won't even fit under the bench. If a boat is REALLY small, I can setup my gear and just stow the backpack wherever.

The other problem is when the pelican fits under the bench, but there is zero deck space. That thing has to come out from under the bench, sit somewhere relatively flat, open like a lunchbox, and then I can get stuff out of it. The backpack has a top and a side zipper and is easier to work out of in a limited area.

I agree with you on the mesh thing...I think the idea was to make it easy to rinse, or was it dry, or...whatever. I much prefer the plastic tub...who cares if it has water in it? I can deal with that when I get home. Besides, nothing sucks worse than putting it on after a long boat ride back to the dock and having all that cold seawater soak your backside..

What do you do on a boat that your case won't fit anywhere?

Maybe I've been lucky.

I have one of those hard-back cases...sort of a teardrop tub shape. Two big pockets, a reg bag pocket and a small stuff pocket. Roller Blade wheel, etc. Simple to hose out with the hard back. Easy to carry weights in because its solid...its just a cool bag. My wife and I have had 'em for years.

They're the kind of bag everyone hates - I NEVER see them. I mean never. On dozens of drive trips, I've seen one.

I've only been on about 6 or 7 different boats (tomorrow will be a new one) and my bag has always either slid under the bench, on the shelf behind the bench ) one of the 6-packs I dive has built shelves) or on the bow. More room in the bow, anyway.

Getting soaked on the way back to the car sucks.

Tomorrow is my first dive in my 50/50 sig....!!!! :):):)

I have been peeking about the internet looking at all of the different types of bags...
Thanks for all of the feedback...I was wondering if I needed a dry bag so that advice helps...the action packer idea sounds great but I'm afraid it might prove a bit hard to lug around for a girl like myself with biceps more on the wimpy than popeye side of arm muscles...I like the ones that have the roll or lift option.... I also think some padding would be good at least around my reg and computer because I can see my bag being knocked about. The problem is that all of the models I have been looking at look more like take you gear on an airplane than on a boat type bags. Any particular model suggestions?

I have an akona mesh bag from when i took openwater class.It looks like a nice bag but isnt very well made.The draw string on the top really sucks as it catches on everything when you add or remove stuff from the bag.I still use it on the smaller boat dives that have no room for anything larger.Other than that i use it to store my drysuit,hood and trek boots in after a dive as the mesh helps it dry and not get all stinky like in a sealed closed container.

As with most things, it all depends on where/how you will be transporting your gear.

If I'll be driving straight to my dive spot, and gearing up at the car, I load it all into a 100 litre plastic tub, and throw it into the car.

If I need to cart my gear a bit, I'll throw it into my UK mesh bag. It has a solid base and ends, but mesh sides. I find it really useful because it lets air through the bag, and moisture out.

If I'm travelling on a plane, I don't like the idea of using a mesh bag (although I have done it, after first lining the mesh sides with a couple of towels), so choose to use a larger generic sports bag.
FWIW, I don't have a reg bag, but usually pack them into my BC, and then between some soft stuff (wetsuit, towel, etc)

Back
Top Bottom