Dive at New Orleans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benjamin2207

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I am a Belgian diver. I will be in New Orleans from October 28th to November 4th

First, sorry for my english. I speak french.

I would like some information to do one or two dives at New Orleans or around. I found a lot informations to dive in Florida. But it's poor for Louisiana.

I am leverl 2 CMAS (More than 100 dives). I have a DAN certification too.

It will be the first time in Louisania for me.

Someone can help me to find a dive club ? I allready try with a nice guy from Tementos's club in New Orléans but he said me : "It is Fall weather and usually quite windy". And I sent an E-mail to Pelagic, an annoter club, but no answer.

So, Someone can help me to contact à dive club ?

Thank's guys ;-)

Benjamin

Ben, i think the problem is that near New Orleans the water is quite brown from the outflow of the Mississippi River, unless you go far offshore. You might as well travel to the panhandle of Florida for diving by that time. Hope that helps.

Hi,

Yes, it's a solution. In fact, I would like to dive in the Mexican Gulf.

I think to look to dive in Florida. But I think the distance is too much. I don't Know exactly if it's possible with a car.

The Florida Panhandle referred to is about 3+ hrs drive east - 200 mi. on Interstate 10. Probably the closest decent boat diving is out of Pensacola, Florida.

Google Pensacola Dive Operators for a list of shops to contact. From there some of them boat dive out to the USS Oriskany - a massive wreck put down as a dive site.

Another option could be a dive charter boat working in that area - I believe there's several - it's a popular dive site - here's one - H2O Below | Pensacola Scuba Diving & USS Oriskany Charters

Be sure to specify any gear you need also - boat dives in the US sometimes provide all gear, sometimes just tanks/weights - sometimes just the ride to the site. You should be able to rent what you need at any ot the shops.

Another option could be Harry's in Metarie (New Orleans area)
They run inexpensive wreck dives out of Panama City FL -
Panama City Wreck Diving - Harry’s Dive Shop

The Panhandle is generally too flat/sandy to dive from shore. I don't know how fall weather affects any of this though - it's possible the diving is so bad then that they just shut down till it gets calmer.

If you're solo, likely the operator will pair you up with someone on the boat. Also most rental gear there will be in Imprial units - not BAR.

i believe on the Oriskany dives they put a divemaster in the water also - you can often follow along with the group he/she leads.

Last edited:
Thank you, Steve.

I Will contact the différent operator.

And think you for your advices. I'm looking for the orange beach too.

See you ;-)

If you're bringing regs - check on DIN tank availability also.
Or most will have adapters.

I've heard of diving off Perdido Key also but I don't know how or with who.

I speared a lot of fish rig diving of the coast of Louisiana when I lived there. If spearfishing is not your thing, there is great wreck and shore diving in Pensacola Florida. Pensacola is about a 3.5 hour drive from New Orleans. MBT DIvers (MBT Divers - Pensacola Scuba Diving Training, Equipment, and Service) is my preferred Pensacola shop and David with Emerald Ocean Dive Charters (Welcome to Emerald Ocean Dive Charters!) runs charters frequently. There are also a number of shore diving sites in and around Pensacola. Enjoy NOLA!

Thank's a lot.

Harry's Dive Shop in New Orleans help me too. But he don't dive in november cause weather.
I contacted Diving Viking. He asked that dépends of weather and the see into the Gulf.

But I'll contact the others to compare.

I can't bring my Diving equipment in the flight exept my dive computer. So I'll have to rent everything. And the Cost...

I can't imagine that the rental would be terribly expensive . Most dive shops will have
a gear package that would include everything you need . Good luck on the diving and
enjoy NOLA !
Sea Dwellers

Back
Top Bottom