Dive assure or DAN insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going out of the country on vacation for my first liveaboard. Looking at getting medical dive insurance incase I get bent and insurance for the gear incase the airline messes up.

Which company is better?

I will share an experience of someone on a recent liveaboard I was on. I'm not sure what insurance the individual had but it wasn't DAN. The diver ended up bent and needed to be transferred by speedboat to the chamber. The insurance company fought the claim throughout his incident. They were claiming something like since the liveaboard was classed as a cruise and wasn't within the umbrella of the policy. Ultimately, through calls to the company between chamber dives, and lots of angst and stress they ended up covering him. Had he been through DAN there would have been zero questions, they would have actually helped a lot more than hinder. It is my understanding DAN would have offered assistance to the chamber operators if needed and would have offered medical advice. I've read nothing but positive experiences from people who have needed DAN. I have no experience with Dive Assure to know what their service is like, I just know DAN seems to go the extra distance.

Which company is "better"? I don't know.

Based on 1) reputation, 2) nonprofit status, I went with DAN. Haven't had to use it yet.

Best of luck

There is a Dive Insurance forum that might have threads comparing the two. Check it out: Dive Insurance

Had a buddy with an undeserved hit in Truk this last October. Turns out he has a PFO. Dan covered his 2 days of chamber rides and lost dives due to the undeserved hit. DAN is solid with a solid history. Needless to say my friend paying his annual dues for the rest of his life, will never pay enough to make up what DAN paid out. Yeah DAN is the way to go.

30+ years with DAN, and fortunately never had to file a claim. I hope to never use it, but if I do, I'm going to be ahead of the game financially...

If you try and register....you get this message.
upload_2020-1-14_13-24-18.png

Because of all the good stories we've heard about DAN during the years we decided to go with them.
Luckily never had to file a claim ourselves but should such an event ever occur a cheaper / less known alternative is propably not worth the fuss :).

Which company is this?
For years I used Dive Assure until I noticed the message @tursiops posted. I don't do a lot of diving in the US, but still, that makes it a deal breaker for me. DAN started getting my money again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom