Dive++ app vs dive lights+red filter and editing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I used the app dive+ and I was very impressed. The results in white balance correction are surprisingly good especially considering how fast and easy to use It is. Press Button, done. On the other hand, the quality of the old fashioned process use divelight + red filter + editing with Pinnacle studio or similar Is much higher. But It takes time and effort. Many times when i go home i am tired and i Just go to sleep. While other diving buddies ask to share videos immediately. Which one do you prefer and which do you consider a more balanced solution? Thanks

I found Dive+ pretty limited for what I wanted to do and it has a little logo on the conversions that I prefer not to have on my videos.

I am just starting to learn DaVinci Resolve and I like it a lot. Color conversion is not as easy as Dive+ but it has other editing features I like and it's a free download.

There are a lot of options to sift through, but there are some tutorial videos that help in learning.

Davinci Resolve for Underwater Videographers - Free YouTube Series

Dive+ is great for anything taken with a GoPro as you aren't going to be taking those macro shots typically. I can run it through as I pull photos off my GoPro post-dive and quickly post it or share it with others that were on the boat.

Thanks for your answers
Concerning Dive++ app do you think that using divelights and red filter will affect negatively the color correction process? I have been using it without red filter (backscatter in my case) and without lights in the last dives. The result was good (though not otpimal). What if I use divelights and red filter? Is it better or worse?

I use a dive light, but ditched the filter on my GoPro7. Sometimes it over-corrects.

Attachments

• 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 111
Thanks for your answers
Concerning Dive++ app do you think that using divelights and red filter will affect negatively the color correction process? I have been using it without red filter (backscatter in my case) and without lights in the last dives. The result was good (though not otpimal). What if I use divelights and red filter? Is it better or worse?

Red filters only work well in a narrow range of depth. Too shallow and your video is too red. Too deep and there is not enough light to correct with a red filter and everything still looks too blue or green.

Lights are the best way to get true color at any depth, but they only illuminate for a short distance. You can't use a red filter with white lights because everything will be too red.

Dive+ and other editting programs do best if your videos have pretty good color to start with, so lights are your best option to get closest to true color.

I like the app for quick and easy corrections. As for the watermark logo, I often crop it out after I correct the image or video but that depends on the type of footage you are working with.

I use Davinci Resolve 16 for longer videos. I use it to edit, color correct, add music and titles. It is very powerful but the color correction does take some practice. I am still learning that part of it but have gotten some pretty decent results.

YouTube tutorials from Davinci as well as people like Jamie Fenn and Mr. Alex Tech helped me understand some of the things that were not clear to me at first.

Here is a link to a video I just did 100% in Resolve. All of the land images and video were color corrected in Resolve as well as the dive footage. I will try and see if I can grab some stills to show the original vs the color corrected shots a bit later.

Back
Top Bottom