Question Dive 5-7 days in Pattaya in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomadicdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Might be able to do a longer solo trip to Thailand in July (first visit to Thailand). Intend to spend a few days in Bangkok and surrounds as I've never been there. But it's also a dive trip: wanted to visit Koh Tao, but I typically travel with my own dive gear and UW photo gear which makes getting there a real pain.

Is Pattaya diving worth a visit this time of year? I've heard there's less marine life, less viz, more wrecks/artificial reefs. My expectation is that I'd be sacrificing dive quality to avoid domestic flights, lengthy bus rides, rainy season ferries, etc., etc. Open to any input, including reasonable alternatives from Bangkok. (Heard it's definitely wrong time of year for west coast, e.g. Phuket, Similans, etc.)

To answer all the usual questions for more detail: I enjoy ALL diving and I stick to rec limits these days (no tech), very experienced in all conditions, enjoy ALL marine life (tiny critters, big critters, you name it). Much prefer the small boats with a few divers but I'll ride the cattle boats as opposed to not getting to dive...

Not really looking for a liveaboard as I also like topside hiking and exploring (though probably not in July...), trying all the restaurants, cultural excursions (little villages, local customs/performances, etc.). Not much of a beach rat: get bored easily except for the occasional pause for a boat drink while Kindling.

First time in Thailand.

The best spot for diving in July is Koh Tao.
Master Divers is my suggestion. I brought my own gear on my first visit but on my subsequent visits, only computer, mask and wet suit. Full gear is included in the price and I never had any issue with it.

Full party in Koh Phangan in July is 22nd so avoid travelling to that area, the three islands, around that time.

The best spot for diving in July is Koh Tao.
Master Divers is my suggestion. I brought my own gear on my first visit but on my subsequent visits, only computer, mask and wet suit. Full gear is included in the price and I never had any issue with it.

Full party in Koh Phangan in July is 22nd so avoid travelling to that area, the three islands, around that time.
Unfortunately, that's the time I'd be traveling so one more reason to avoid Koh Tao around that time. So, Pattaya's just not worth it?

Unfortunately, that's the time I'd be traveling so one more reason to avoid Koh Tao around that time. So, Pattaya's just not worth it?
1. Fly to Koh Samui.
2. I made two diving trips to Pattaya yrs ago, June and Aug, but never ever dipped my head under water because of weather.

Your best bet is Koh Tao.

Pattaya (Samae San) diving is somewhat unremarkable, and July is going to be rainy. If your gills are drying out, it'll serve in a pinch, but Koh Tao is your best bet for decent diving in Thailand around that time. The full moon party is actually a good thing, as it means there will be less people on Tao at the time.

Diving in Pattaya is by day boats (converted wooden fishing vessels). The dive sites are 1½-2½ hours out...some small island fringing reefs and a couple wrecks. Marine life isn't great...some fish, rays, if you're lucky a turtle. Some nuddies and other macro. Conditions range from okay to marginal...a good day is slight current and 10-15m vis to strong currents and blackout vis. Nobody I know who lives in Thailand dives in the Pattaya/Sameasan area. Though Bangkok based dive clubs do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom