DIT Seattle wannabe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkbonner

Registered
Reaction score
I've got an 18 year old nephew who wants to attend DIT in Seattle, WA.
Given a conservative estimation that he is an average academic student but eager and capable physically and success is dependent on his results, is DIT merely a diver mill or do they put out a quality product that is attractive to employers?
After my sister opens her wallet, is it reasonable to assume he can obtain marketable skills?

DIT's program is one of the best on the west coast. It's complete in that it issues the graduate DCBC, ADCI, NDI (level I & II), Hazmat and Rigger (Chevron) Certifications.

These certifications are attractive / necessary to employers, but no one is hired for their credentials, they hire the individual. Experience is always a major factor; especially when there are more people with the tickets than there are jobs.

It's hard to say what to do, as people do get employed who you wouldn't think would have a chance. But if he was my son, I'd try to steer him either into the Navy (as a Diver) so he could be trained at someone elses expense and gain experience, or would suggest that he learn welding or rigging and work in the construction industry to gain experience before going to a commercial school.

People forget that you dive to get to the job site. They pay you to do the job, not just to dive.

Look at it this way. If you were to pay for someone to be a commercial diver, would you pick a guy who has been working in construction for 10 years and has completed his commercial diving ticket, or pick a young man out of high school who graduated out of commercial diving school with no other experience? That's what the industry looks like at this point.

Thank you for your comments, DCBC.
I'm a retired US Marine and dive recreationally. Though I'm excited for him, I know this profession is competitive and arduous. Your comments will help him understand what he's up against.
Fair winds and following seas to you and yours.

Pray for devastating hurricanes in the gulf so we have work when he finishes his program.

There's been a lot of press on the goings on deep in the Gulf these days, that's for sure.
It's people like you that keep us from living in caves.
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom