'Disposable' retractor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Let's please avoid a deep dive on the pros or cons (love or hate) retractors. I used to have one on my gauge console, and stopped using it, since it didn't work well for me. But I'm thinking of experimenting with a retractor on my spare/daytime flashlight and my small magnifying glass. Here's what's going on in my head:

1. I'm just experimenting, and don't want to spend lots of money.
2. The multi-purpose 'scuba' retractors I've seen (and owned) are somewhat large.
3. The dedicated 'flashlight scuba' retractors (usually with case) are shockingly expensive.

Has anyone ever tried to use a simple badge/key retractor? I can get plastic body with stainless spring and kevlar cord in multi-packs from Amazon. I wonder how long they would last exposed to salt water?

I'm thinking of trying one or two on my next vacation... if they only last the week, I'm out $10. Big deal.

I've broken enough badge retractors at work that I would not put anything of value on one. Breaking a retractor at work, at worst the badge falls on the floor and I stop by security and get another one. While diving, less likely to notice it fail. How willing are you to loose said item?

And the retracting force is rather light. Probably fine in the water, but getting in or out may not be.

Hi Bronco

I've been looking at different models with different retracting forces. For my flashlight (2-AAA cell size) I worry about the same things (drooping, or breaking). I'm not too worried about my magnifying glass, it is really light and I have a bunch of spares.

I agree the cheap badge retractors (bought in bulk at my company too) are easily broken. I've bought a few of my own at around $10 each, and they've really lasted long. One lasted so long the cord slowly cut a notch in the plastic.

I've seen a few on Amazon with zinc bodies, stainless steel cords and springs. I'm willing to pay a little more, but don't want to spend more on the retractor than the flashlight.

I use and suggest "gear keeper" retractors. Go to their site and look for the proper "weight" & size for your need. Then purchase from Amazon.

I have about 3 different ones with different weight/pull strength. Most important part is getting the proper weight/pull for your accessory.

The Gear Keeper boasts nylon coated stainless steel cable. That might work for a while, but anytime you have coated or insulated stranded wire or cable? Moisture gets under the coating, especially with pressure changes, and then you've got salt moisture inside, where it can't be seen, to eventually rust out the unknown grade of stainless. Even "the best" of stainless wire rigging cables can and will rust out under the right conditions. So, possibly worth a dice roll, possibly not.

Hi all,
Let's please avoid a deep dive on the pros or cons (love or hate) retractors. I used to have one on my gauge console, and stopped using it, since it didn't work well for me.
1. I'm just experimenting, and don't want to spend lots of money.
2. The multi-purpose 'scuba' retractors I've seen (and owned) are somewhat large.
3. The dedicated 'flashlight scuba' retractors (usually with case) are shockingly expensive.

WHY........ do you ask?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom