Disney world with side of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farsidefan1

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Our national conference will be at disney world in May. I'm going to arrive a day early and stay 2 days late to try some diving. I will only bring mask and regulator figuring to rent the rest. I wondered if those of you from this area could suggest where to go for a day or 2 of diving? I will have a rental car and will be leaving again from the Orlando airport. Do I want to go east or west, up or down? I am a warm water wuss, preferring 77 degrees plus but ... it will still beat the heck out of Utah waters this time of year. I enjoy critter watching (I will bring my magnifying glass). I'm open to all suggestions for a couple days of diving anywhere within 5 or 6 hours drive any direction. Snorkeling in crystal lake or whatever it is called with the dugongs (spelling?)would be outstanding if allowed.
I would be primarily interested in boat dives since I'm still recovering from knee replacement surgery. Schleping gear would be a pain :)

I agree - do Epcot. You'll have a long drive if you want a shore dive out of Orlando.

Thank you, looks sort of interesting. I will study that one a bit. Perhaps on my arrival date when I have meetings the next day it would make a nice "quickie". I'd prefer a nice boat dive on a real reef with perhaps more experienced divers after the conference when I have a couple days. Where I'm from a 4 or 5 hour drive is no big deal. Happily done for a chance to do an ocean dive :)

If you have wheels, you'll find good ocean diving 2 1/2 hours away in Jupiter. Check out this thread which contains some info for another diver visiting Orlando.....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/414756-location-idea.html

The Epcot dive is worth doing at least once. Sort of a bucket list type of dive. As recently as 2 weeks ago, I indicated to another SB member that, while I enjoyed it, I'd never do it again. But I am planning a second trip with Gold Coast Scuba since we got a fantastic group rate. Since you are already at Disney, you can't pass it up, even though it is a bit pricey without the group rate.

Since you don't mind a drive and want an ocean boat dive with reef, more advanced, and easy to get off and on - check out Emerald Charters in Jupiter - only does advance dives, 3 tanks, lots of spearfishing, awesome reefs, lunch included and easy enter and exit out of the water! And only about 2.5 hours away. And then there is West Palm Beach too, with some great reef systems! Enjoy and dive, dive, dive.

if you have time, go to the Crystal River area and swim with the manatees!! SUPER Experience! There are boat tours to get you to the right spots...!!

we used this tour Crystal River Manatee Tours Snorkeling Diving Manatees Crystal River Florida

Love the Crystal River tours, but I'd call ahead. IMHO the Manatee tours can be iffy this late in the year....but if the shop says they are still finding them, it's a great trip !! My favorite operator over there is birdsunderwatertours.com

IF you do decide to do the Epcot Dive, don't think you can just show up, these dives fill up pretty fast (Our Dive Shop had one where it was a few months wait).

Also, agree with ScubaDreamin about Jupiter, and if your in the area, perhaps a shot down to Blue Heron Bridge. Really easy shore dive.

I holiday in Lissimmee every year and always try to get over to Clearwater to dive with Welcome To Dive Clearwater! at least once every trip. It's just 1.5 hours drive away but I've only ever done May or August so I have no ecperience of Gulf conditions at this time of year

As other posters have said though West Palm Beach at only 2.5 hours is well worth it. I have dived with Our Palm Beach Dive Boat - Deep Obsession :: Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures and WEST PALM BEACH SCUBA DIVING :: Pura Vida Divers and they were both top notch ops. If you are going to make the trip South though,I can thoroughly recommend that you keep going another 20 miles and dive with Kevin at https://securec7.ezhostingserver.com/diveboyntonbeach-com/indexs.cfm out of Boynton

I have also dived Disney Quest at Epcot, and though I enjoyed it, I wouldnt do it again, as its very expensive for what it is I think

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom