discrimination based solely on age

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timetraveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I read a letter in the Summer 2016 issue of Alert Diver from a diver who wrote "There are dive shops that do discriminate based solely on age. I ran into this problem during a 2015 Caribbean cruise with my wife and grandson. I am a 67-year old experienced and active diver with many certifications, and I'm in reasonably good health. I do not take any medications, and I carry a doctor's release to scuba dive. The dive shop's age limit was 65. I never even got to fill out a medical questionnaire or present my certifications; they saw the birthdate and said I could not dive with them." Has anyone experienced age discrimination from a cruise line dive excursion or from a dive shop? Which ones?

I read a letter in the Summer 2016 issue of Alert Diver from a diver who wrote "There are dive shops that do discriminate based solely on age. I ran into this problem during a 2015 Caribbean cruise with my wife and grandson. I am a 67-year old experienced and active diver with many certifications, and I'm in reasonably good health. I do not take any medications, and I carry a doctor's release to scuba dive. The dive shop's age limit was 65. I never even got to fill out a medical questionnaire or present my certifications; they saw the birthdate and said I could not dive with them." Has anyone experienced age discrimination from a cruise line dive excursion or from a dive shop? Which ones?

Not yet, but I'm only 63.

I would think it's illegal in the USA. My girlfriend took a OW class recently on Cozumel and was 64 at the time. That was with PADI and she needed a release from her doctor but I think they do that for any age. Which country gave you the grief?

Could it be that age isn't the issue, Perhaps its statistical health items that are most common from 65 and older.

"Which country gave you the grief?"

It wasn't me. It was someone who wrote into Alert Diver. He didn't say which country and he didn't say whether it was on a cruise ship excursion of if he attempted to go diving with an independent operator.

Not me. I'm 69 now and will be 70 when I get to Bonaire Nov 26th. Never even been asked how old I am. But I've never dove from a cruise ship. Actually never been on a cruise ship.

I'll be 73 shortly, so I guess I'll perform due diligence and inquire before committing to any dive op. So far, it's never been an issue.

"I'm 69 now and will be 70 when I get to Bonaire Nov 26th"

I dove Bonaire 2 years ago when I was your age. I didn't experience any age discrimination then.
I'm going again on Saturday, Sept 3.
Have a great time!

If you are willing to effectively waive the ability to sue the dive op should they screw up, then just lie about your age, the same way divers lie about their medical histories. Their questions about age and medical history are for their protection, not yours. Granted, I think it's irresponsible to dive despite known medical risks, since it can affect not just you but your family/survivors, rescue personnel, etc. So long as my doctor says I'm in good health and cleared to dive, I don't feel obligated to share my age and medical history with a dive op.

So far the worst that has happened to me was I was called "Pops" by the captain of a dive boat on Maui and that was a few years ago. He didn't look like he was much younger than me. I figure he was just trying to reduce the competition as there were three or four single women on the boat.

When I was on Cozumel last year I would guess that about 1/3 of the divers on the boat were older than me and I had the privilege of diving with a woman who had been doing it since before there were any certification programs. She was probably pushing 80.

Personally, now that I'm older, I have virtually no debt, no kids to take care of or send to college, and plenty of free time so I can go diving in all of the exotic places that I dreamed about when my kids were growing up. I suspect that my situation is not very unusual so they'd only be hurting themselves if they start giving us old timers a hard time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom