Discount Divers Supply? selling my gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone have experience selling their old gear to Discount Divers Supply?

Here is my situation. My dad and I did a fair amount of diving together some years ago. He gave me some new equipment as a gift right about the time we stopped diving. I always hoped we'd start going again, so I held on to the stuff. But, at this point I've decided it is just time to get rid of it.

Two items are completely new - never been out of the box:
- Seatec Original Manta BC. Adult Large.
- Kidde Aluminum 80 tank - Black (doesn't even have the valve on it, just the threaded hole.)

Also, I have 3 regulators (first and second stages - if I remember the terminology right). They were working perfectly - but they had been heavily used (scratched up pretty good.) Are these worth anything?

My local shops don't deal in used stuff.
This Discount Divers Supply place says I can send it in, they will check it out and then tell me what they will offer. It is one of the only online places offering to take used gear that I could find.
Anyone ever tried them? Do they give fair values for stuff? (I don't even begin to know what is reasonable for the BC.)

They won't take the tank, of course. I think my local shop will give me maybe $40 for it, so I'll probably just do that.

I realize that I could try selling it on here, or EBay... but... I don't know. I guess I'm a little uncomfortable selling it direct without a shop checking it out. Maybe that is stupid. The stuff seems to be fine, but I'm no expert.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I would do a little research (internet, LDS) and try to identify the makes and models, and then post an ad here on scubaboard. You won't get much from gear that is old and un-maintained where the buyer will have to put money into it to bring it back to functioning, but you'll get more than from a re-seller.

To find out values, once you know what you have, check for prior ebay sales (although sometimes stuff goes for more than it should as peole get caught up in the auction aspect). And just google what you have with the word "used" and you'd be amazed what you can learn.

That's what I would do.

Back
Top Bottom