Disassembly of "new" Aqualung Legend second stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Is it difficult to "field strip" the second stage of the new Aqualung Legend? I am referring to the ability or inability to remove the front cover and access the interior of the second stage.

It appears that it no longer has a threaded retainer ring, but instead uses some other design. I could be wrong about this because I have only seen the reg on a store shelf and the shop did not seem to think having me try to disassemble the reg was a really good idea (actually I didn't even ask, let alone try).

Thank you.

Thank you for the help, but they redesigned the Legend in the past few months and the second stage is substantially different now.

I have no idea about the reg but oddly enough I dumped my Mares reg because of this issue. I got tired of the steps I needed to go through to clean out the second stage.

Is it difficult to "field strip" the second stage of the new Aqualung Legend? I am referring to the ability or inability to remove the front cover and access the interior of the second stage.

It appears that it no longer has a threaded retainer ring, but instead uses some other design. I could be wrong about this because I have only seen the reg on a store shelf and the shop did not seem to think having me try to disassemble the reg was a really good idea (actually I didn't even ask, let alone try).

Thank you.

In the ad, it appears to be a simple threaded ring (made of gold, copper, or Mythral) that if held in just the right orientation to the horizon becomes some kind of magical portal to....................................................

Haven't seen the schematic for the 'new' legend yet, but there isn't any need for it to be 'substantially' different...The 'old' legend was unnecessarily 'over-engineered' w/unneeded parts.....It didn't perform any better than Apeks [which is why I switched and then switched to HOG].....I have a 'sense' that they are doing this to scare people from working on their own gear....The science/principles behind regulators is simple..........So if you use quality parts, assemble them properly 'KISS' applies.....Why make something/anything more complicated than it needs to be ????.......Unless there is an 'ulterior motive'....Which doesn't surprise me considering the company that's doing it.......I know several divers that have bought the 'new' Legend...{they're like me, always looking for something better/safer in gear}......their opinion ?????.....HYPE !!!!!....

The video does make it look that way, but just looking at the reg I get the feeling something more is involved. Perhaps I will post something on the Aqualung forum, since no one seems to know.

Thank you for the link, though, I appreciate your help.

To remove the cover from the "New" legend is fairly easy, you need to pull/push a spring loaded pin and 1/4 counter clockwise turn and it's open.

temporary.jpg

Probably unlikely to do on the boat/underwater with gloves on, but it can be easily done without tools.

Regards

Thank you, I appreciate the information. I was mildly frustrated by the Aqualung response to me....in which they declined to explain the process to me "not knowing my abilities" and suggested that I should check with an AL dealer who might demonstrate the procedure if they felt it was "appropriate" to do so.

Now, some manufacturers might have said something like "In answer to your question, this is the procedure.....but we don't encourage you to do this yourself and suggest that you only have any work on the item performed by an authorized service technician.

I could understand that as a valid precautionary statement. As it is I feel a bit like I asked to be shown the secret handshake or something.

Back
Top Bottom