http://www.diveheart.org/

Disabled Adults Employed, living at Aquatic Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awetmedic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi, if you look at the pictures on my profile under Albums for user: awetmedic | ScubaBoard it might help this story along. The google satellite view of 2645 Pilgrim Mill Circle, Cumming GA 30041 might also help.

You will see how far along we are coming.

I have been working on building a lakeside aquatic center to employ people with disabilities while they train as Certified Nursing Assistants. (CNA) My 19 y/o son has Down Syndrome and he would be paired with somebody with a physical disability and they would learn the 90 hours (standard time, it may be 3 to 6 months of training the first time through) course. A CNA team state certified would be a world wide first. This could mean many new doors to meaningful employment for people with disabilities of all kinds. CNA skills are all daily living skills that any person with a disability or a caregiver should know.

The people with disabilities would live and work at the aquatic center and then train as a CNA. We would train up to 4 people at a time and pay for their room, board and training as they are likely on medicaid and can not afford this. We are hoping the revenue the aquatic center earns would fund their room, board and training.

I am a retired paramedic/FF (I retired after 30 years, very early in life, but I was done!) Although it looks very expensive to do, I put money in the ground over 18 years since just after my son was born and did it myself.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to introduce this project to divers on this site for ideas to help it?

For more information abilityrevolution.com describes the project, tropicaladventurecompetition.com describes the marketing videos, saltlifetrivia.com and piratedivebar.com describe the internet marketing and they are still under development.

I would like to hear some critical comments as solving those issues are the best way to improve this, so I am ready, fire away!

If you want to help from your laptop, or live close enough to visit, let me know. FAST concept.jpg underwater windows.jpg

Cheers
Alan Kindree
alan@theabilityrevolution.com

Attachments

• underwater at night.jpg
    underwater at night.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 87
  • Operation.JPG
    Operation.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 81
  • HPIM2842.JPG
    HPIM2842.JPG