DIRF Ft. Lauderdale 12/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We finished the class yesterday. I found it to be a very useful class. I learned some things and also found some areas in which my skills are distinctly lacking.

I recommend this class to all divers, regardless of level. I think everyone will take away a large benefit from participating. I also highly recommend my instructor Dean Marshall from Brownie's in Fort Lauderdale.

Am I more assimilated now? Yes. Am I fully assimilated? No, that isn't going to happen.

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...
We finished the class yesterday. I found it to be a very useful class. I learned some things and also found some areas in which my skills are distinctly lacking.

I recommend this class to all divers, regardless of level. I think everyone will take away a large benefit from participating. I also highly recommend my instructor Dean Marshall from Brownie's in Fort Lauderdale.

Am I more assimilated now? Yes. Am I fully assimilated? No, that isn't going to happen.

Tom
You have to give us more than that! Don't be a tease :wink: .

What did you think was the best part of the class/what parts did you learn the most from? Where were you lacking the most? What did you find that made you more assimilated? What still didn't convince you?

O-ring once bubbled...

You have to give us more than that! Don't be a tease :wink: .

What did you think was the best part of the class/what parts did you learn the most from? Where were you lacking the most? What did you find that made you more assimilated? What still didn't convince you?

I'm tired dude! 2 days diving doubles in rough seas make me not want to write a big long review of every detail. Others have done that and the classes are all done basically the same. I will answer your questions though.

As for the best part, I think it was in learning (at least being exposed to) the different kicking techniques. This part also was the part that added to my assimilation.

The thing I was most deficient in was in that my trim goes to hell when task loaded. Trim is fine swimming around but add a skill in and the tendancy is to go vertical to accomplish it. I need lots of practice.

The part that didn't sit too well was the absolute insistance that every tiny thing be the same for everyone. One example, I like to use a small clip on the end of my spool rather than just a loop in the cave line. I still like it better my way. I also still have problems with policy as discussed in another thread.

One of the guys in the class with me knows you. His name is Richard. SB name is (I think) Diver42. Real nice guy and a very solid diver.

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...

I'm tired dude! 2 days diving doubles in rough seas make me not want to write a big long review of every detail. Others have done that and the classes are all done basically the same. I will answer your questions though.

As for the best part, I think it was in learning (at least being exposed to) the different kicking techniques. This part also was the part that added to my assimilation.

The thing I was most deficient in was in that my trim goes to hell when task loaded. Trim is fine swimming around but add a skill in and the tendancy is to go vertical to accomplish it. I need lots of practice.

The part that didn't sit too well was the absolute insistance that every tiny thing be the same for everyone. One example, I like to use a small clip on the end of my spool rather than just a loop in the cave line. I still like it better my way. I also still have problems with policy as discussed in another thread.

One of the guys in the class with me knows you. His name is Richard. SB name is (I think) Diver42. Real nice guy and a very solid diver.

Tom
I forgot how much of a beating the class is...yeah I know Rich...he and I are working on our DM under the same instructor. I dove with him a couple times at the quarry and a couple times out of Wilmington, NC.

I had no idea he was taking the class with you guys...pretty cool, I will have to check with him to see how it went. Did he still have that carabiner attached to his BP? Did they nail him for it :)

If you know what rule 6 is, you are closer to assimilation. :)
Glad you liked the class.

Eric

ericfine50 once bubbled...
If you know what rule 6 is, you are closer to assimilation. :)
Glad you liked the class.

Eric

I knew rule 6 beforehand. Most of my buddies are GUE.

O-ring once bubbled...

I forgot how much of a beating the class is...yeah I know Rich...he and I are working on our DM under the same instructor. I dove with him a couple times at the quarry and a couple times out of Wilmington, NC.

I had no idea he was taking the class with you guys...pretty cool, I will have to check with him to see how it went. Did he still have that carabiner attached to his BP? Did they nail him for it :)

I dunno if he had a carabiner or not. I think they nailed him for his dive-rite liftbag holder thingee though :) We all got nailed for something.

I think he had a good time, seemed like it. Better the second day for sure :)

Tom

Zup guys?

Yes, the class was good. Yes, I had a better day the second day. WW was aluding to the fact that I got seasick for the first time on the first trip. I think it was eating lunch on the way out that killed me.

I'm actually writing up a review so I remember what happened. If anyone wants to read it, I'll post it later on.

For the record, I have never had a suicide clip on my backplate. For a while I had double enders attaching my DR liftbag to my BP, but I swapped them for single sliding gate clips tied with cave line a while ago. Given that the thing sits essentially under the tanks, the instructor didn't make a big thing about it. But he surely pointed it out.

Other fun highlights, in brief: me not figureing out WW's OOA signal from his nonchalant signaling :wink:, waiting for the long hose deployment from our other budy who kept forgetting to get it over his head, my near hit with a stingray in the sand when I sank a little during the Basic 4 drill...

The class really beat us up because of the current and surge. I lead us into the current more than I should have, and I spent quite a bit of time fighting the curren't hand in taking me and my liftbag with it. Reeling that thing in was a bear.

Oh, the instructor did make a point of the fact that my wings are too big. I had a fair amount of trouble because I was wearing 55s instead of 40s with my (rented) AL80 doubles.

Oh, it was cool to meet George for a few minutes.

diver42 once bubbled...
Zup guys?

Yes, the class was good. Yes, I had a better day the second day. WW was aluding to the fact that I got seasick for the first time on the first trip. I think it was eating lunch on the way out that killed me.

I'm actually writing up a review so I remember what happened. If anyone wants to read it, I'll post it later on.

For the record, I have never had a suicide clip on my backplate. For a while I had double enders attaching my DR liftbag to my BP, but I swapped them for single sliding gate clips tied with cave line a while ago. Given that the thing sits essentially under the tanks, the instructor didn't make a big thing about it. But he surely pointed it out.

Other fun highlights, in brief: me not figureing out WW's OOA signal from his nonchalant signaling :wink:, waiting for the long hose deployment from our other budy who kept forgetting to get it over his head, my near hit with a stingray in the sand when I sank a little during the Basic 4 drill...

The class really beat us up because of the current and surge. I lead us into the current more than I should have, and I spent quite a bit of time fighting the curren't hand in taking me and my liftbag with it. Reeling that thing in was a bear.

Oh, the instructor did make a point of the fact that my wings are too big. I had a fair amount of trouble because I was wearing 55s instead of 40s with my (rented) AL80 doubles.

Oh, it was cool to meet George for a few minutes.

The only thing surprizing about you getting sick was that you were the only one that did. Conditions like that are far from everyday things. As to the current thing, it takes time to learn how to work the bottom in situations like that. Next time you see heavy current you'll have a lot less trouble I bet.

All in all I think you did the best of any of us as far as skills, trim, etc. Do watch out for those little stingrays :eek:

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom