dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle

Reaction score
from the post that i have read there are divers that dont agree with dir teachings what are some of the pros and cons?

What are you trying to do start WWIII? :confused:

What are you trying to do start WWIII?

Answering the opening shot:

I've got no problem with the message in general, but sometimes shooting the messenger is the best thing to do.
:mean:

lol sorry guys ..just thought to spice things up a bit and i guess i did lol but still..would like to see some replys..im just a little snuggle messenger lol

No worries there Snuggle,

I've seen a few of the other posts on the subject and it can get kind of heated, therefore I usually try to stay out of it. Some people are very passionate about DIR.

I myself use a modified version of the gear configuration. I don't do any cave diving and haven't yet gotten certified in the deep Trimix diving I want to do so I just use the gear for recreational diving at the moment. I use a back plate and harness setup along with the long hose on the primary regulator and hang the backup around my neck. I decided to switch to this configuration after talking to a few guys that used it for cave diving. Even though I don't do any of the extream stuff they do the idea of the long hose made sense to me. The diving here in South Florida can be deep and the currents strong so trying to make an alternate air source asscent using the standard configuration would be very difficult. And streamlining the gear sure does make it a lot easyer to swim against the current when you have to.

Scott

I am a cyber diver and don't know what I'm talking about so...that should make me the perfect person to respond. :)

snuggle once bubbled...
from the post that i have read there are divers that dont agree with dir teachings what are some of the pros and cons?
It all comes down to some DIR folkes attitude. They don't understanding that not all divers want to be, or are capable of being, skilled divers. For example, Horizontal ascents, especially during an OOA require more skill. Unskilled divers (OW students) are taught to hang onto the chain for safety. During an OOA the "agencies" teach that you should lock arms or grab the other persons shoulder strap, etc. so that you will stay together during the ascent. Again this is a safety measure for those without the skill to stay together during a horizontal ascent using bouyancy skills alone. DIR divers may ascend facing each other. That requires that you can backup to avoid bumping into the diver in front of you. DIR dosen't like poodle jackets (vest style bc's). New, less skilled divers, may feel safer in a life vest (which a back plate and wings is not.) B/P and wings requires more skill to configure and get set up. Anyway, you get the idea. It goes for for all things DIR,;computers, air management, physical fitness, gear, etc.

Basically, some of those that SUCCESSFULLY argue with DIR teachings are usually making the point that less skilled divers can and do dive safely using less technical and more easily learned skills. That you don't have to be good to enjoy safe diving. :D This is my belief. Although I personally want to be a good diver I respect the rights of others to kill themselves (as long as they don't muck up my dive site) on a vacation.

Other arguments center around being able to safely do technical dives using similar skills learned from other agencies, without the attitude. This argument comes from other old-time skilled divers that get a little miffed at the new kid on the block strutting on their board walk. It makes for great reading but some, on both sides, take it way too personal. (Those are the ones that are reading this and can feel their blood pressure going up.) Here I claim ignorance and will defer to the carnage that is about to explode. (OK. Pete and Pug, play nice.)

landlocked once bubbled...
I am a cyber diver and don't know what I'm talking about so...that should make me the perfect person to respond. :)

It all comes down to some DIR folkes attitude. They don't understanding that not all divers want to be, or are capable of being, skilled divers.

I think the attitude plays one of the major roles. It has been my experience that the most vocal of those claiming others are not "DIR" have themselves never taken a class, nor fully understand the concept. They even go so far as to claim certain colors are not DIR. I myself am not against DIR, in fact I embrace most of the things that it encompasses. I am against those that feel the need to bash and proclaim loudly that their way is the only way. The true DIR divers that I have met are actually very humble and unassuming.

Back
Top Bottom