Which 1st & 2nd stage would you choose for the described (future) dives?

• Apeks MTX black DIN Venturi (same like MTX-R but with Venturi)

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Apeks XTX50

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Scubapro MK25 evo a carbon

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Atomic M1

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Atomic Z2

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Hog

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Deep6

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Others (please specify below)

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Non-compliant in what way?

why not? They are not the stereotypical upstream regulator designs and the OPV integrated into the first stage mitigates any theoretical risk of them failing shut. From experience, they work fine with IP creep. If your instructor won't let you use them then so be it, but they are as DIR as I can imagine anything being. The first stage design has the least amount of moving parts and sealing surfaces which minimizes risk of leaks and IP creep. The second stages have less parts, less moving parts, and are a simpler and smaller design. They are no longer using proprietary hoses which was a legitimate issue, and the Xstream and Jetstream use normal IP's. If that doesn't fit the bill of KISS then I don't know what does...

Thanks for your suggestions. I think my considerations were made by older threads which refered to the old Poseidon design which was to my understanding not DIR-compliant. Now it seems to be fine and I will reconsider Poseidon Xstreams again for my selection because I really like that they are "pushing" the air to the diver.

Sidemount and DIR is officially no combination. DIR started as backmount only, open circuit only, hogarthian equipment.
Is that really the case that Sidemount is not DIR-compliant. The reason why I am asking is I just saw that GUE offers Cave sidemount courses and GUE complies to DIR. Please see Cave Sidemount

@Turtle Friend the Poseidon Cyklon design dates back to 1958 and has essentially been in continuous production since then. It is a normal downstream regulator, though it does operate at quite a high IP. The Jetstream and Xstream have unfortunately been classified as "upstream" regulators, where the old upstream designs would in fact fail closed, but that is not the case with these regulators and shouldn't be excluded from DIR training. Make sure to talk with your instructor before you buy though as many may refuse to allow them based on their misunderstanding.

Thanks for your suggestions. I think my considerations were made by older threads which refered to the old Poseidon design which was to my understanding not DIR-compliant. Now it seems to be fine and I will reconsider Poseidon Xstreams again for my selection because I really like that they are "pushing" the air to the diver.

Is that really the case that Sidemount is not DIR-compliant. The reason why I am asking is I just saw that GUE offers Cave sidemount courses and GUE complies to DIR. Please see Cave Sidemount
GUE is not DIR, they use GUE-style. In early days, they started DIR, but the word 'DIR' became a little bit negative, so they quitted the use of 'DIR'. Also they started without sidemount and ccr. CCR was dangerous. Now they do exactly the same as other agencies, offer where people ask for, so also ccr and sidemount. A lot of things has been changed in a few years since I started technical diving. Deco on the fly, ratio deco is now also changed in pragmatic deco. So you make a plan using a decoplanner and then pragmatise the plan. Sidemount is allowed, ccr is allowed. It is now waiting till the 20/85 is changed into 40/80 or so, quit doing mandantory deepstops. I have seen all these changes. (and of course also the VPM-B as best to Buhlmann GF again, which was not GUE, but technical diving in general, V-planner changed to Multideco including Buhlmannplanning now).
Nowadays, everything can be called 'DIR'. Even solodiving can be done 'DIR'. And colors in technical equipment are added.

Shrugs
Nobody knows what "DIR" is anymore. At least 4 different agencies and instructors wave this term around. In Germany you would be with GUE or ISE.

GUE's sidemount course is only something you take after cave1 & cave2 in backmount - so it would be years and years down the road for you. And not something you would even use in open water or German mines. It would potentially be useful in French caves - years from now. By then you will own a dozen regulators anyway.

The times they are a-changin!
Many things that were frown upon are now being accepted without blinking an eye!!!
For the good or bad? Who care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom