DIR variances

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does this forum cater to just the DIR as taught by GUE or to the DIR taught by both GUE and NAUI Tec?

Also, My experience with NAUI Tec is very limited to just what I've read about AG's couses and to what I've seen of my Instructors NAUI courses (Rob Calkins). Is the NAUI tec program standardized in a way that you should have the same quality of training no matter which instructor that you choose (like the GUE training), or is there a large difference in the classes based on location, instructor, etc?

Also, I'd be interested in the differences in procedures between GUE and the NAUI tec applications.

NAUI Tec programs are all over the map. There are some DIR-ish NAUI tech instructors and many who are not. For the time being I think those who have been through a "DIR" NAUI tech program know who they are and are probably reasonably conversant.

NAUI Tech alone isn't really DIR. The NTEC equipment configuration is nearly identical to GUEs AFAIK, but from there things get different. What AG (specifically) teaches is very close to DIR since he used to be the GUE course director. We can probably do without a lot of discussion of 25/25 or monkeydiving, but class reports on AGs wreck courses would be fine (imo).

...Also, My experience with NAUI Tec is very limited to just what I've read about AG's couses and to what I've seen of my Instructors NAUI courses (Rob Calkins). Is the NAUI tec program standardized in a way that you should have the same quality of training no matter which instructor that you choose (like the GUE training), or is there a large difference in the classes based on location, instructor, etc?..

I would think there may also be some differences depending on if the instructor was teaching for both GUE and NAUI, as Rob was. It is a real shame, I saw he isn't on the GUE instructor list any more. And I so enjoyed having a GUE instructor in our area (only 8ish hours away), even if only for a little while. This is one area of the country that is sorely lacking for instructors...

I would think there may also be some differences depending on if the instructor was teaching for both GUE and NAUI, as Rob was. It is a real shame, I saw he isn't on the GUE instructor list any more. And I so enjoyed having a GUE instructor in our area (only 8ish hours away), even if only for a little while. This is one area of the country that is sorely lacking for instructors...

Darn... I just checked and he's not on the list of GUE instructors anymore. That's a bummer. He did mention that he was coming up for renewal when I took my class. It would only be speculation as to why he didn't renew. I'm sure he's keeping busy with his NAUI classes though. I need to email him to see when he's going to be at Rock Lake next and see if we can work out some dives! :D

It would only be speculation as to why he didn't renew.

I'm sure he's keeping busy with his NAUI classes though.

I would suspect the latter has a lot to do with the former.

It's unfortunate but GUE seems to have a hard time keeping instructors for reasons that I'm am very unclear on since it is such a hard road to become a GUE guy in the first place.

Well, I did list 5thd-x's tech diver by Joe Talavera on my resume' to get in this forum. So, take that for what it's worth.:coffee:

Darn...we let one slip by.

:wink:

The official take on this is that we will allow the different variances taught by the Heretic (AG :wink:) and other DIR-like instructors.

The reality is that there would be differences between what was taught between two GUE diver from different "eras", so why worry about it.

Most of the differences I have seen have been trivial anyways.

Plus, it will give us something to debate about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom