DIR: Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulSmithTek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Curious. I am looking at taking the Fundies class. I am looking at a Apex XTX 200. Is this DIR approved?

Except for regs like the Poseidon Jetstream, pretty much any reg will do. Fundies is about the diver, not about the gear.

PaulSmithTek:
Curious. I am looking at taking the Fundies class. I am looking at a Apex XTX 200. Is this DIR approved?

XTX50s probably breathe nearly identically, cost less, and are just as DIR...

I did shell out for an ATX200 as my first primary, and in retrospect i would have just gotten ATX50s or TX50s...

DS4s also work great as first stages and don't break the bank either...

Ditto what Lamont said. I bought 2 XTX 200 and wish I had purchased ATX-50's and DS-4's. I would have had at least a whole 'nother reg set for the price. Live and learn. I just did pick up a DS-4 for a deco bottle. Half the price of the XTX 200.... If you plan on doubles diving ever, get a DIN setup now.

Thanks for everyones feed back. What is the Difference between the XT50 and XTX200?

This is hearsay so take it for what it's worth.
The 50, 100, and 200 second-stages are all essentially the same.
The DS4 that you can get with the XTX50 is environmentally sealed, 4 LP and 1 HP port.
The FSR that comes with the XTX200 is also environmentally sealed, 4 LP and 2 HP ports.

Some say the FSR breaths better than the DS4. Maybe...I've never used an XTX500. I'm happy with my XTX50s w/DS4's. :)

What is people's experience with the XTX20 for single-tank recreational use? Is the hose routing pretty good with this reg? I use only Scubapro and Atomics first stages, and have no direct experience with any Apeks regs. I like the SP hose routing for a doubles setup, but for a single I think it's not as good (don't like the degree to which the backup reg hose sticks up).

I was just curious whether hose routing on an XTX20 would be "flatter". I'm also curious as to which port people are using for the long hose vs short hose reg and why.

DIR-Atlanta:
What is people's experience with the XTX20 for single-tank recreational use? Is the hose routing pretty good with this reg? I use only Scubapro and Atomics first stages, and have no direct experience with any Apeks regs. I like the SP hose routing for a doubles setup, but for a single I think it's not as good (don't like the degree to which the backup reg hose sticks up).

I personally don't like it - the first stage (XTX UST) would route like a Scubapro MK20/25 without the LP port at the end of the turret... For single tank diving, Apeks DS4/XTX DS4 or FSR/XTX FSR is preferable, imho. I prefer Apeks FSTs for my doubles (I use AL80s and DS4s/Evolve 40 combo's hose routing sucks).

DIR-Atlanta:
I was just curious whether hose routing on an XTX20 would be "flatter". I'm also curious as to which port people are using for the long hose vs short hose reg and why.

Well yes, it would be "flatter" - but since you can't angle the first stage and route the long hose downward like on a MK20/25 (lack of LP port at end of turret on the Apeks), the long hose, short hose and inflator hose (and drysuit hose if you use one) is in a sort of "X" pattern, which I don't like.

I also have an XTX 50 as one of my regs and it is exactly the same as the XTX 200 except for the grey bit of trim on the front of the second stage instead of silver..... whatever.....

Vie:
I personally don't like it - the first stage (XTX UST) would route like a Scubapro MK20/25 without the LP port at the end of the turret... For single tank diving, Apeks DS4/XTX DS4 or FSR/XTX FSR is preferable, imho.
OK, this is confusing. The Aqualung website shows the XTX20 as having a first stage that is similar to what is shown on other (European) websites as the DS4. It mentions nothing about a turret.

Here's a picture of what I thought I was talking about (from the US Aqualung site):

prd_xtx20.jpg

And here's a picture of an XTX20 from the UK Apeks website:

XTX20.jpg

The second stages appear identical, but the first stages are very different (bottom one definitely has a turret, top one definitely does not). Is this a US vs UK thing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom