DIR Pre-dive Planning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm looking into taking the fundies class in a few months. I've heard that GUE doesn't advocate or teach the use of computers. What type of pre-dive planning is taught? Do you use the standard tables for NDL or does GUE teach another method for recreational dive planning?

GUE uses "Minimum Deco" limits -- These are the times that generate one minute stops from half maximum depth if you run the dive through Decoplanner. There is one table on dir-diver.com, and 5thD-x teaches a different one. I've actually never been given a table from my GUE classes, and I just went through my Rec Triox book and Peter's Fundies handbook, and didn't find one either place.

Table generation and such is taught in Tech 1. Pre-dive planning can be as detailed as you want it to be.

You'll learn the min deco stuff in fundies. Remember the rule of 120? Super handy for Min Deco limits, but all that will be discussed in your class.

Good luck mate, its a great course!

My Fundies instructor also suggested the rule of 120. Also, said to just use my PADI tables (with which I'm familiar) and to start looking at software packages (e.g. Decoplanner).

What do you use for triox? It can't be the rule of 120, since the decompression is different for helium.

ekewaka:
What do you use for triox? It can't be the rule of 120, since the decompression is different for helium.
rule of 120 doesn't work for nitrox either. :wink:

I think Jeff's being sarcastic . . . GUE teaches that dives within MDLs on helium are managed no differently from dives on Nitrox -- same minimum deco ascent.

Rainer:
Why not? Just take 20% off your depth (32%) and go from there...
Thats an "addition" to the rule. (or how to take an air based rule and use it for nitrox)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom