DIR mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I am not super hard core about DIR but I do like some of the ideas.

I broke a fin strap and the next day converted to steel spring straps.

I have broken a mask strap and just used another mask strap.

But why not a steel spring strap-or something not quite as punishing on the noggin' as steel but stronger than silicone/rubber.

Any thoughts?
Mike

I think adjustability would be an issue - and comfort. The boots/fins/feet are something you can put some force on but the eyes and area around them are likely more sensitive and need to be treated that way. If your mask is too tight you'll look like a racoon for a while, too loose and it will leak. Fins can be slightly too tight or too loose without any sort of detrimental effect.

steve

Buff,
You may want to try a neoprene strap. Comfortable, long lasting and flexible. Works better than the silicon straps.
Enjoy,
Larry

double125's once bubbled...
I thought the neoprene mask strap was DIR endorsed!
I've also often wondered that. If you go to the GUE home page, the diver you see has some sort of strap modification on his mask, although it looks like something that just fits over the rubber strap.

The velcro one seems like it might last longer, and it's much easier to take on and off underwater.

Dr. Jay,

That is a neoprene sleeve that slides over the back of a standard mask strap. It helps make the strap more comfortable and makes it so you don't pull your hair out when taking off the mask. (When your not wearing a hood)

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
That is a neoprene sleeve that slides over the back of a standard mask strap. It helps make the strap more comfortable and makes it so you don't pull your hair out when taking off the mask. (When your not wearing a hood)
Yep...that's what I figured it was.

Just curious if the "official DIR thing" was to have a cover like that or replace the strap with one of those velcro-style ones.

I wear the strap that comes with my mask which is currently a Scubapro Frameless. However the hair that remains on head is short and normally I wear a hood.

A number of my DIR buddies wear slap straps on the mask which are made of
neoprene.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

also keeps your mask from sinking real fast if you drop it; it will kind of hover, giving you time to grab it.

they are also more comfortable,IMO.

Years ago, I was diving with Capt Billy Deans when he was in Key West (he is one of the gurus of tech diving who was behind Aqua Corps magazine) and he was using a neoprene mask strap that had nylon web buckle adjustments. Of course, velcro probably would work just was well.

Cost for these straps is all of $10 at many a dive shop.

Back
Top Bottom