DIR help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MurkyRockDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello all,

I trust this is the proper place to post this if not feel free to delete or move it. First of all I never heard of DIR until I came to this board and since hearing about have been reading with interest.

My back ground is in the military and Police so I am big on SOP's and everyone's gear being the same to simplify use in a emergency situation etc...

So with that in mind I find the DIR way interesting. Now comes the but....

I am new to diving (25 dives) and I bought all my gear which included a BC and regs. I spent a fair bit on this and really do not want to go out and buy a BP/W and new hoses etc.. unless I have to.

I currently have a 40 in hose on my octo and was looking for advice how to make my current setup more DIR if possible.

In my instruction to date it was always stressed to keep regs on the right and octo in the triangle and big on the buddy system, which I practice always.

Any suggestions are taken so don't be shy as well I have checked and no DIR classes are offered in my area.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I did read that and it is helpful in planning future purchases.

The DIR gear configuration is based on the Hogarthian method. Using pieces of it won't make you "more DIR" but each piece will make sense if you choose to use it. My fiancee doesn't want a long hose, but loves her Jetfins, backplate and bungeed necklace backup reg. Check out this link for some ideas.
http://gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

I think far too much empasis in "internet" DIR is placed on the gear. You don't have to have a BP/W to be a thinking diver. Hog, and DIR both seek optimal solutions to diving problems.

Adding a long hose to your current config won't be expensive. Putting a bungie on your backup reg is pretty cheap too. Learning to dive with a team mindset will cost you nothing but time, and effort.

Purchase gear as you are able, and focus on the important things for the time being.

I think Perrone has it right.

The hose configuration is easily done... equipment is just a part. Its the mindset and the skills that will take time but the ongoing commitment to training and improvement is key.

With that said I would make one gear change... the fins. Its really tough to do some of the kicks you will want to learn and to develop the kind of precision you will need without fins like jets or turtles.

As for classes... you may need to travel. Its just a fact of life that there are only a few instructors who are really capable of showing you where the bar is. As DIR diving is team diving its really tough to get into the flow with "buddies" rather than "team members".

Enjoy the ride.

Perrone has some good advice.

Gear configuration is only one aspect of the DIR approach. Focus is on the dive planning and the team environment. Keep the gear considerations in mind for future purchases or as your needs and diving style change.

DIR is about much more than just gear.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the replys, been reading more since I posted this and I understand about DIR being much more than gear. I dive in the cold 30's to mid 40's in the summer so we buddy up allot around here and take it serious so thats a beginning.

I will continue reading and learning :)

You know, it's pretty easy to start by putting your short hose regulator on a necklace, and using the 40" hose regulator as your primary. The 40" hose routes directly under the arm and to your mouth, and you may find you need an elbow on it to get it to sit comfortably in your mouth. The "donate the primary" principle is one of the central ideas of DIR equipment.

Beyond that, you can work on buoyancy and trim, and situational awareness, and team skills. You can challenge your buoyancy in any gear, and you can move some weight around and play with your body position until you can remain horizontal without finning. For my money, that's where really good diving skills start -- the ability to be still if you want to be. Working on team positioning so that you can remain visible to one another and really work as a team, rather than two random divers together, is a big part of what the DIR philosophy stresses.

I would highly recommend buying the Essentials and/or Intro to Tech DVDs from Breakthru Diving. They have beautiful footage of the skills, and the Intro to Tech DVD has grease-pencil overlays and slow motion footage as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom