DIR/GUE setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
DIR/GUE Divers,

While this doesn’t necessarily pertain to advanced diving, this is the DIR forum so I thought it best to ask here. I am new diving who has decided that the DIR philosophy of gear setup has many advantages I want to incorporate into my diving. On the page listing GUE equipment choices from the GUE website (could not post URL as I do not have enough posts ), it mentions that the inflator hose should be long enough to reach the mouth, dry suit inflation valve, his/her nose and, if necessary long enough to breath out of by holding down both buttons.

My question is would it be acceptable to use an octo-inflator in place of a normal inflator since being able to breath out of it is in some circumstances is acceptable in the GUE/DIR system? This would be for inflation duties mostly but a better backup and I would still be using a normal octopus reg bungeed under my chin as normal. Would this be acceptable or am I creating more problems than I am solving? I assume my octo-inflator should be just as reliable as my normal inflator for buoyancy control, but much better when breathing, if it came to that.

My reasoning being if I need to breath out of my inflator hose, I would rather have something more suited to that purpose like an Atomic SS1 or whatever than a normal inflator. What do you guys think or suggest?

Thank you for your input.

Mike

Welcome to the board. I'm sure you'll find lots of good information here.

DIR typically does not encourage the use of an alternate air source/inflation combination.

I notice that you have a solo diver group title. As another point of reference, DIR is centered around solid buddy teams.

I think a whole lot of things would have to go wrong for you and your team if you end up having to breath from your inflator. Having the combo inflator provides virtually no benefit, but adds another failure point (another second stage that can free-flow). My opinion is stick with the inflator that comes with your wing and use the money saved for something more important.

Another nit to octo/inflator combos is that you or your buddy (if you are unconcious) can end up pressing the wrong buttons under stress. They are a foo-foo gimick that really aren't needed in DIR. The long hose + bungied backup + training cover all the contingencies you may encounter from 1ATA to 10+ATA both OW and overhead.

I have been involved in a real life rescue... the almost victim had an Air 2 type inflator. His group had already descended and he was aborting but couldn't figure out how to inflate his rig.

We rushed over to help but we had the hardest time trying to figure out how to inflate his BC!

We were trying to inflate orally but couldn't...the sad part is so did he.

I guess my bottom line is with a simple inflator a would be rescuer/buddy would have very few problems figuring out how to help you out.

Thank you for your feedback. I was aware of a potential increase in possible free flow risk and expected this possible solution would be not encouraged. Again, thank you for confirming my suspicions it may not be the best solution. Granted, the chances of needing to breath through your inflator (either type) is pretty slim.

I have learned a lot just reading the forums here.

Safe diving all

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom