DIR GUE and backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don:

I wasn't speaking specifically for the Intova Compact, as my lights are Inova (it's not a misspelling, completely different brand). That was my experience with membrane tailcap switches in general. Though this is making me think about getting an Intova Compact to not only dive it, but take it apart and see how it works.

Thanks for the clarification about the Inova vs Intova.

I certainly didn't mean to sound harsh!

You didn't, I put that last bit in there because my manner of speaking, and thus typing, can sometimes anger without any intent to. It's my own own little CMA.

Everything you say makes a whole bunch of sense and I'm not saying it doesn't. I keep in mind that you do dives that are MUCH more demanding than anything I regularly do and thus you place high demands on your equipment's reliability.

I like having a warm & fuzzy feeling about my backup equipment, too. And that is why I carry a pair of backup lights, one locked and loaded while the other is on safe. We both met our needs, just took a different route there. I still keep my Salvos in the trunk for if the dive (or my buddy) requires them. I just prefer to keep the wear and tear of my everyday diving off of them, so that when I do require them I know they are 100% ready to go.

Also, it comes back to Pre-dive checks and basically not allowing complacency to get the better of us. I have a motorcycle racer friend of mine who follows her race-day schedule RELIGIOUSLY. I follow my pre-dive schedule to the same extent, as I feel all divers should. That's part of what I consider being a Thinking Diver, fighting complacence that I feel other divers sometimes allow to get the better of them.

Peace,
Greg

Don:

I wasn't speaking specifically for the Intova Compact, as my lights are Inova (it's not a misspelling, completely different brand). That was my experience with membrane tailcap switches in general. Though this is making me think about getting an Intova Compact to not only dive it, but take it apart and see how it works.

I'm quite familiar with INOVA lights you're talking about. Inova makes a wide variety of LED-based flashlights. My local Fry's chain has carried them for years... I own a couple of them, as well.

The switches are NOT the same as the INTOVA lights we've been discussing. Those tail switches are a simple exposed rubber membrane switch. I don't believe the lights are actually designed for scuba diving, in spite of their ostensible "waterproofness". I'd be perfectly comfortable using one in a rainstorm but I'd never take one diving. The Intova light switches are protected in a very different manner. I'm not sure about interior mechanism, but there is a hard cap protecting the switch.

I've had the Intova Compact light over 120' a number of times, with no self-actuation.

Just to clear the air. They may seem similar, but they're not, so your experiences with the Inova lights have very little to do with the Intova lights discussed in this thread.

The Intova light switches are protected in a very different manner. I'm not sure about interior mechanism, but there is a hard cap protecting the switch.

I seem to remember that the Intova Compact tail push switch is a magnetic switch ...?

Henrik

I currently use the inTova compact LED with slide magnetic switch. I have had it for 2 years, purely open water as a back up/communication. I still use it as i can't afford the Scout at the moment. (i know the light isn't DIR compliant and do intend to change it)

But, bar it's non-compliance it's perfect for my diving The battery life is amazing, the light itself is great; small, reliable and very bright, even in the dark cold waters of Ireland.

It also uses the same batteries as my OMS light which i use as my primary in dark dives. Again, temporary until i can afford a can light.

They both do well for my needs, and just to add i have never experienced a failure or switching on without me meaning too. But, this was my first light, so even in thick 5mm wet gloves i guess my muscle memory is pretty good. I can also clip it on and off without issue.

I do appreciate that my diving doesn't rely as heavily on lights as a cave diver, but honestly from my use i would totally trust it, although i would change the batteries!

I'm quite familiar with INOVA lights you're talking about. Inova makes a wide variety of LED-based flashlights. My local Fry's chain has carried them for years... I own a couple of them, as well.

The switches are NOT the same as the INTOVA lights we've been discussing. Those tail switches are a simple exposed rubber membrane switch. I don't believe the lights are actually designed for scuba diving, in spite of their ostensible "waterproofness". I'd be perfectly comfortable using one in a rainstorm but I'd never take one diving. The Intova light switches are protected in a very different manner. I'm not sure about interior mechanism, but there is a hard cap protecting the switch.

I've had the Intova Compact light over 120' a number of times, with no self-actuation.

Just to clear the air. They may seem similar, but they're not, so your experiences with the Inova lights have very little to do with the Intova lights discussed in this thread.

CompuDude,

Appreciate the clarification.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom