Dip Tube Variances

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RxRcr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I picked up a scubapro manifold that is missing its dip tubes. I figured there would be a standard size for dip tubes (silly me), none of mine work. I tried some off of thermo and a few other k valves I had laying around...all those were interchangeable amongst themselves but not with the scubapro-go figure!

After lugging the manifold to a hardware store in an attempt to determine the threads, none of the in stock sizes/thread counts fit the threads. Any thoughts as to where to pick up dip tubes for this older scuba pro manifold? I know and may use the manifold without, but would prefer to install them regardless. Any direction is appreciated!

Attachments

• scubapro manifold1.jpg
    scubapro manifold1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 57
  • scubapro manifold2.jpg
    scubapro manifold2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 60
  • scubapro manifold3.jpg
    scubapro manifold3.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 60
  • scubapro manifold4.jpg
    scubapro manifold4.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 59
Going to the hardware store helps eliminating threads.
I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is 1/4-32. Not a standard thread, and not available at my LDS, I mean hardware store.

There are some that have a course thread that were sourced from Taiwan.
Does the thread appear course, as opposed to fine? Can't tell from pic.

From the CE mark, the 232-bars rating (and the chrome finish) I suppose these are manufactured here in Italy, where Scubapro has a brass foundry (near Genoa).
So possibly the screw is a standard M6 (6mm with 1mm thread step).

Going to the hardware store helps eliminating threads.
I don't know for sure, but I suspect it is 1/4-32. Not a standard thread, and not available at my LDS, I mean hardware store.

There are some that have a course thread that were sourced from Taiwan.
Does the thread appear course, as opposed to fine? Can't tell from pic.

Yea, pic isnt too good into the threads...they appear to be fine threads. My thermo dip tube, I assume is the 1/4 x 32. Just an assumption since a google search brings up dip tubes with 1/4 x 32. My assumption is that the prolific nature of thermos lend themselves to be more likely supported...I may buy 1/4x32 just to eliminate...or get lucky!

From the CE mark, the 232-bars rating (and the chrome finish) I suppose these are manufactured here in Italy, where Scubapro has a brass foundry (near Genoa).
So possibly the screw is a standard M6 (6mm with 1mm thread step).
I tried M6 x 1mm and it engages about one turn and stops...seems M6 diameter is correct, but the thread pitch of 1mm is not...

1/4-32, isn't that the same as a car valve stem? I know the valve stem thread is an odd one.
Tried that...found a brass "extender" at the hardware store...didnt fit... I'm still thinking its probably metric

I tried M6 x 1mm and it engages about one turn and stops...seems M6 diameter is correct, but the thread pitch of 1mm is not...
If the thread is smaller than the standard M6, then it is 6mm x 0.75mm (M6F - F= "fine", which means narrow).
Here the standard metric threads:
Tabella-filettatura-a-passo-grosso.jpg

Here instead the "fine" metric threads:
Tabella-filettatura-a-passo-fine.jpg

If it is coarser, instead, then it is standard 1/4" (the same thread as below a photo camera).
Here you see the difference between the standard M6 (1mm thread step) and the 1/4":
102-0275_IMG_4aaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom