DIN yoke converters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tndonor

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have seen many DIN to yoke converters. If your first stage is yoke, is there a converter for a DIN valve? All the searching I have done hasnt yielded one yet. Im not sure where to look if such a critter exsists.

I dont need one, I figured I would just chase this rabbit and add the knowledge to my newly forming info bank.

Thanks all

I have both DIN and YOKE connectors for my first stage. It is a bit of a pain changing them, you need a big spanner, but that way I am never caught out.
p.s. I bought my gear in Germany, where din was the standard, about 12 years ago.

Nope, not as far as I've seen.

I agree, the best solution is to have both DIN and yoke fittings to swap back and forth on your first stage. That's how we do it.

Other than that, the most common thing here in Europe and the Middle East -- where they've got dive travelers with both DIN and yoke regulators -- is to use 200-bar DIN valves that will accept a screw-in "donut" adapter for yoke regulators like this... second one down... the valve is narrow enough so a yoke will fit around it, and has a dimple on the back of the valve for the yoke screw. Downside is, the insert takes a beating... and you have to worry about two exposed o-rings.

One issue with any adapter is that it has to be designed in a way that a yoke couldn't be connected to a 300-bar tank and valve, for which pressure it's not designed.

Theoretically, you could also use a fill adapter like this... it screws into a DIN valve -- can only be attached to a 200-bar valve -- and a yoke can be attached to it. But the first stage would be at the wrong angle. Plus I don't think the fitting would have acceptable strength. I used one a couple times, many years ago.... but certainly wouldn't recommend it now.

Kind of like one of the standard questions at the Army Armor Officer's Basic Course in the mid-70's... "Can you fire the M-551 Sheridan's 152mm main gun while the vehicle is swimming?"

"Yes. Once."

--Marek

Red Sea Shadow:
Yes there is a yoke to DIN converter/adapter.
You mean the "donut" inserts, right? Trouble is, they will only work with valves designed for them... they have to have the dimple on the back...
Red Sea Shadow:
It is better to buy a complete yoke to DIN conversion kit. Most regulator manufacturers offer these kits (300 bar) for something like 50 USD.
Agreed.

I've seen two types of Yoke (regulator) to DIN (tank convertors).

1.) is a convertor that went in the yoke of your first stage and then had threads to screw into a DIN tank. I only saw this on EBAY and it "looked really odd". ( I was wondering if it was 'homemade'.) You would have to be carefull not to use this on a tank that was rated/filled to a higher PSI.

2.) The convertible DIN/Yoke valve plugs are much more common. But you typically only see these on 200bar valves.

Ironically, I'm seeing some Yoke regulators that are rated now to 4000psi

What I did when purchasing a new regulator was to buy it in DIN and then use a DIN to yoke convertor for when I wanted to use a yoke valve tank.

Back
Top Bottom