DIN wheel on Apeks DST interfering with swivel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seefa

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought an Apex xtx50 with a DIN mount and noticed that the DIN wheel is interfering with the swivel and not allowing the the hoses to turn a full 360 degrees. Is this normal?

I just bought an Apex xtx50 with a DIN mount and noticed that the DIN wheel is interfering with the swivel and not allowing the the hoses to turn a full 360 degrees. Is this normal?

Yes. Not sure what else to say.

A friend directly asked about this a year ago to Apeks. Apeks/Aqualung answered that the first stage was initially designed to be used with a single cylinder back mount configuration. They were worried that if the turret could swivel 360°C, the hoses could move to the wrong side of the body (for ex. second stages to the left of your body). This way, hoses would always stay on the correct side.

I might try to dig up a screenshot of the original email if anyone's interested.

I think Chris mentioned that is why HOG designed the D3 as they did.
HOG0376.jpg

The turret is smaller than the body so the Din connection does not interfere with the turret.

That's interesting, however is that really a likely situation? It sounds like an excuse for the design turning out that way rather than the actual reason. I have seen turrets from scubapro, Oceanic and cressi and none seem to have followed the same thought process. Furthermore, does the turret not rotate fully when the regulator comes with a yoke connector?

Thank you for the insight!

That's interesting, however is that really a likely situation? It sounds like an excuse for the design turning out that way rather than the actual reason. I have seen turrets from scubapro, Oceanic and cressi and none seem to have followed the same thought process. Furthermore, does the turret not rotate fully when the regulator comes with a yoke connector?

I agree (and my friend agrees too. We have discussed this quite extensively ^^). I'm just adding here what he was told since I find it quite an "interesting" answer. As you mentionned, it looks like quite a unique thought process. As for yoke, I have no idea, I haven't seen yet this type of first stage with a yoke connector.

When the Hog D1 came out people remarked (and some complained) that it appeared to be a straight copy of an Apeks DST. So much so that it was rumored that a Hog parts kit can be used on Apeks regulators (Cerich denied it) and that the Hog 5th port upgrade will work. So the D1 had all the imperfections of the original DST. When the D3 came out the turret was redesigned so that it can rotate 360 degrees. I do not own one but there has been so many posts by different divers I do not doubt that it is true.

I do own DSTs, as well as Scubapro MK-20s, MK-10s, Mk-5s, Oceanic Mk-5 clones and some Beuchats with rotating turrets and really never had an issue with the turrets. However most of my regs are set up for yoke (A-clamp) not DIN.

Not necessarily, I didn't dive it yet but I can see situations where I may benefit from more rotation that what my current configuration allows due to the wheel interfering with the hose placements.

When the Hog D1 came out people remarked (and some complained) that it appeared to be a straight copy of an Apeks DST. So much so that it was rumored that a Hog parts kit can be used on Apeks regulators (Cerich denied it) and that the Hog 5th port upgrade will work. So the D1 had all the imperfections of the original DST. When the D3 came out the turret was redesigned so that it can rotate 360 degrees. I do not own one but there has been so many posts by different divers I do not doubt that it is true.

I do own DSTs, as well as Scubapro MK-20s, MK-10s, Mk-5s, Oceanic Mk-5 clones and some Beuchats with rotating turrets and really never had an issue with the turrets. However most of my regs are set up for yoke (A-clamp) not DIN.

Do either of those rotate freely? Did you find a benefit to that?

I did find 3rd party turrets that raise the hose ports so they don't interfere with the wheel so it's not a show stopper but I was surprised to see what appears to my eye to be a flaw in the design that can be easily fixed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom