DIN VS YOKE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACSimages

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
im sure this question has been asked 100x on these forums. Having said that here it goes...

Din or yoke? I think most would agree that din is better from a failure/ safety standpoint aswell as an engineering standpoint. But what about practicality? I tend to dive all over...SE Asia, japan, USA west and east coasts, Middle East...etc. I have used yoke for the 10+ years I’ve been diving, but now that I’m getting into tech it seems DIN is the way to go.

Q1: What’s the likelyhood dive operations / resorts wil have DIN capability? I’ve never asked and rarely see DIN being used.

Q2: How good are DIN to yoke adapters. I’ve heard mixed reviews saying they don’t last long and will not function well. Anyone have any recommendations as to who makes a good adapter?

Cheers!

All tech divers are using DIN as it is way safer (e.g. for cave diving) as there is a less probability for entanglement. Also, DIN valves can be used for higher pressures. Depending on the country you are diving, DIN or Yoke could be popular. However, many dive centers have ability to use DIN regulators or have DIN to Yoke adaptors. It is better to ask them before you come to dive with specific center. I personally have not heard about any specific issues related to failures of adaptors. I personally have DIN regulator and bought Scubapro DIN to Yoke adaptor.

I much prefer DIN but travel to enough locations that only use Yoke that I bought the tools and parts to swap back and forth.
I bought a yoke reg and a 1" thin walled socket plus DIN conversion part. Tool is like $20 and part was about $40. Takes me all of a minute or two to swap back and forth. I personally cant stand using DIN adapters as they hit me in the head unless offset and tend to be heavy.

From my experience diving in SE Asia, most dive operators will not have the capability unless they support tech diving as well. That being said, some operators actually have DIN connection, just that they are not aware of it. (They will tell you no DIN, but it's actually a DIN valve with Yoke converter on it)

As for DIN to yoke adaptors, have used quite a few, including unbranded ones. No issues with any of them, just remember to take it off, and rinse everytime instead of leaving it on. Heard stories where the converter would end up being stuck on the DIN if left in place for a long time.

All that being said, I think DIN is the way to go, since I like how you can maintain your own orings, use higher pressure tanks, lower risk of extrusion etc. If you are going to do tech diving, you would sooner or later be diving only with dive centres that can provide technical diving support anyway, since it is unlikely that you can get tech mixes, facilities and crews experienced at supporting tech at usual dive centres

Whilst most rec divers in Australia dive yoke, every operator I've dived with has inserts in their tanks and take them out for divers with DIN regs. You usually see a couple of DINs on a trip. Saw exactly the same thing across 3 places I dived with in the Philippines

Yoke is more or less the "de facto" standard in SE Asia.
However, the dual purpose valve(DIN + yoke insert) is getting quite popular. But if I am using a new operator I would ask ahead or just bring yoke to be on the safe side.
I tend to bump the back of my head if I use adapter with Apeks regs.

For my own cylinders and regulators, they are all DIN.
As others have said, for travelling, I also have A-Clamp to DIN adapters.

If at all possible, when on holiday I use DIN.
I've seen two A-Clamps failures in the Red Sea whilst on holiday. Both of the failures where extruding O-rings, i.e. the O-ring pushed back out of the seat beyond the valve. Both cases the diver was in open water, so not caused by striking the A-Clamp on an overhead obstruction (like a wreck).
Potentially, that's because the cylinders are rentals, and not as well looked after as personal cylinders.

Very few of those I dive with use A-Clamps. A lot of those who did have A-clamp have had them converted to DIN over the years. That said, all the club regulators are A-Clamp.

If buying new, I wouldn't buy A-clamp. At a push, I might buy an A-clamp secondhand, but then I would have to factor in the conversion costs.

im sure this question has been asked 100x on these forums. Having said that here it goes...

Din or yoke? I think most would agree that din is better from a failure/ safety standpoint aswell as an engineering standpoint. But what about practicality? I tend to dive all over...SE Asia, japan, USA west and east coasts, Middle East...etc. I have used yoke for the 10+ years I’ve been diving, but now that I’m getting into tech it seems DIN is the way to go.

Q1: What’s the likelyhood dive operations / resorts wil have DIN capability? I’ve never asked and rarely see DIN being used.

Q2: How good are DIN to yoke adapters. I’ve heard mixed reviews saying they don’t last long and will not function well. Anyone have any recommendations as to who makes a good adapter?

Cheers!
All of my regs are DIN and I use it because:

1) The o-ring on the yoke tank presents a potential issue;
2) The aesthetic is better, simpler, and cleaner and;
3) It saves a bit of weight while traveling (when you are flying budget throughout SE Asia, every ounce that you can shave off helps)

Q1) Most of the operators will carry tanks that can be swapped out to DIN with a few twists of the allen wrench. Just to be on the safe side, get yourself a DIN/Yoke adapter and you're covered. Then again, most of the operators will have the adapter available anyway. So just call ahead to check then plan accordingly.

Q2) Adapters are generally pretty well built. I've yet to hear anyone complaining to me about his/her adapter with the exception of a dive friend. But it was his fault by leaving the adapter on the first stage for years and without taking it off. So the crystalized salt completely locked his adapter to the first stage and it took quite an effort to remove the adapter. Just go with any reputable brand and you should be fine.

You can run DIN through an adapter for Yoke. Yoke... that's it.

Yoke is good for a rushed or lazy crew that just has to switch out your rig after each dive.

Back
Top Bottom