DIN valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aviatrr

Contributor
Reaction score
Last weekend I had a regulator on my stage bottle blow an O-ring in the cave. The bottle had been turned on and I had been using it for the previous few minutes. Suddenly, a boatload(caveload?) of air started coming out from around what appeared to be the rubber knob on the valve, so I shut the valve down and exited on back gas. Upon surfacing, I realized that it had been an O-ring and that the air was coming out a small hole in the side of the valve, which I ASSUME is designed to vent gas in the event of an O-ring failure. I have to admit - I never noticed that little hole in the valve before. It's on the same side as the knob. It's a Thermo non modular 200 bar DIN/K. The insert was removed and the reg is a 300 bar DIN.

What exactly is this hole in the side of the valve for? I have not seen this on any other valves. Is this strictly on the Thermo line? I plan on ditching this valve and going with a 300bar non modular, not sure which brand yet. Can somebody tell me, from experience, what kind of air loss you're looking at when you blow a regulator O-ring on a 300bar DIN?

I can't figure out why the O-ring decided to go RIGHT then, or why there was enough of a gap to allow that much air to escape....but there had not been any impact on the valve/reg that would have prompted this. The valve/reg had been pressurized for well over an hour, but turned off for about 30 minutes. I turned the valve back on and started breathing off the reg a few minutes before the O-ring went.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom