DIN to Yoke Adaptors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have any experience using DIN to Yoke adaptors? I know you can use a yoke valve on an AL100, with 3300 psi, but is it ok to use a yoke adaptor on a 3500 psi HP steel tank? If not, what about if you only fill to 3300 psi?

Also, it looks like there is an allen wrench hole in the adaptor, so I'm assuming there isn't issues with removing the adaptor... is this assumption correct?

Here's a pic from the OMS site....

v115.jpg

in the 7/8"-16tpi thread pattern. You see, they wanted to make SURE that no one tried to put a yoke on an HP tank... so they made a different thread for the HPs. Only 300 bar Dins are available in that thread size. However, you can K valves, 200 bar DIN (convertible) and 300 bar din for the 3/4" thread of the LP tanks. BTW, contrary to a re-ocurring myth, the deeper thread pattern of the 300 bar is NO STRONGER than the 200 bar din. It was just a method of keeping regs only rated to 200 bar (the old Scubapro "Sport" DIN) off of 300 bar valves. Today's modern regulators can ALL deal with the higher pressures so it's a moot safety device and only seems to add confusion to this market.

They adapters come out very easily with an allen wrench. Do not make the mistake of only inserting them with your finger. You have a potential leak that way.

Ok. If I'm following what you're saying correctly, if I try to put the adaptor in the DIN fitting in an HP tank, it won't screw in far enough to make a seal with the tank, and still make a seal with the yoke 1st stage?

[The thought, BTW: was that if I get new tanks, my buddy (with a yoke first stage) could use one of my tanks occasionally with the adaptor]

When the "plug" bottoms out to seal it's O-Ring on the bottom of the valve, you will find a 3/8" deep lip that will prohibit your yoke from seating... that and many 300 bar DIN are angled... the Sea Elite are not... they are EXACTLY the same as the 200 bar only longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom