Din to Yoke Adapters - are there differences in quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Moravek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to buy two din to yoke adapters and I see a large range of pricing. The range id from $32.00 to $399 US. I understand the price varies due to that material they are made from. My question; is there much of a difference between the cheaper adapter and the one costing 3X more? I hope not to use them too often, just when I travel and the shop/tour does not have din tanks. Thanks

I've only used maybe 4 or 5. While there's some difference in quality of the finish, I used the $20 dive gear express one without issue.

Do people still not have any convertible tanks in their fleet these days?

I've just now started to dive sidemount and DIN regs so I've never really worried about they typed of tankd. Good to know that I can buy a cheaper one without having issues, and that they use convertible tanks. Thanks for the reply. Cheers

Another thumbs up for the DGX $20 adapters. I used 2 of those for about a year and 100+ dives with zero issues. Still keep them in my gear box in case I need them.

I've just now started to dive sidemount and DIN regs so I've never really worried about they typed of tankd. Good to know that I can buy a cheaper one without having issues, and that they use convertible tanks. Thanks for the reply. Cheers
I did have a DM with a vendor in Marathon, FL who took issue with my Din Xstream Regulator this past May. I was pretty surprised. I’ve used the DGX converter with no issues.

Do people still not have any convertible tanks in their fleet these days?

It's more a situation where they put your nitrox in a tank that was yoke only so either you have to dive air, use the adapter, or wait for someone to go back to the shop and fill a different cylinder with nitrox. Or the donut is corroded into place and by the time the DM figures out that he can't budge it all the other convertible-valve tanks are set up in other divers' kits. So do you pull out an adapter or do you become "that guy"

It's more a situation where they put your nitrox in a tank that was yoke only so either you have to dive air, use the adapter, or wait for someone to go back to the shop and fill a different cylinder with nitrox. Or the donut is corroded into place and by the time the DM figures out that he can't budge it all the other convertible-valve tanks are set up in other divers' kits. So do you pull out an adapter or do you become "that guy"
That’s similar to the situation I ran into. After finding the right hex key, the “threaded insert” was so corroded it couldn’t be removed. Luckily one of the other divers had a adapter. I didn’t bring mine to the boat because the person answering the phone said the DIN was no problem.

That’s similar to the situation I ran into. After finding the right hex key, the “threaded insert” was so corroded it couldn’t be removed. Luckily one of the other divers had a adapter. I didn’t bring mine to the boat because the person answering the phone said the DIN was no problem.
I had basically the same situation but I had an adapter. It got me thinking though....If the yoke insert was so corroded I wonder what the inside of the tank was like.

Absolutely.

I had a technical student who bought inexpensive din adapters. He could not get them to stop leaking on a number of yoke tanks in Bonaire. He was unable to complete one of his training dives as a result. Saving a few buck almost jeapordized his entire certification.

I ended up having to lend him one of mine from xsscuba. Leaks stopped. Apparently, there are some adapter / yoke valve combinations where there is interference between the adapter seating face and the valve body preventing the oring from sealing properly.

Absolutely.

I had a technical student who bought inexpensive din adapters. He could not get them to stop leaking on a number of yoke tanks in Bonaire. He was unable to complete one of his training dives as a result. Saving a few buck almost jeapordized his entire certification.

I ended up having to lend him one of mine from xsscuba. Leaks stopped. Apparently, there are some adapter / yoke valve combinations where there is interference between the adapter seating face and the valve body preventing the oring from sealing properly.

I don't consider the XS Scuba din adapters ($50) to be ones OP is referring to as "cost 3x more" than other brands. Perhaps the lesson here is there absolutely is a difference between high quality adapters and low quality adapters, but you can get high quality adapters for far less than the $200-$300 price tag of some brands.

Reactions: tep

Back
Top Bottom