DIN First Stage Only Recs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan G

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a yoke first stage for years and am thinking about getting my first DIN first stage. I would not need any hoses or regs, as I have those already. I searched this forum and did not find much that is recent about this topic.

I am considering DIN because it is becoming more common and I really liked using DIN when I took my first tech course and used doubles. While I see some obvious differences in design such as swivel turret vs. in line and I will definitely get a swivel turret style, what else should I be looking for? They all seem to have 5 LP ports which I know is key for a tech setup.

For example, DGX D6 first stage costs $175, HOG D3 is $260, while the Mares 28XR is $465. Is this just a matter of "you get what you pay for?"

I have a yoke first stage for years and am thinking about getting my first DIN first stage. I would not need any hoses or regs, as I have those already. I searched this forum and did not find much that is recent about this topic.

I am considering DIN because it is becoming more common and I really liked using DIN when I took my first tech course and used doubles. While I see some obvious differences in design such as swivel turret vs. in line and I will definitely get a swivel turret style, what else should I be looking for? They all seem to have 5 LP ports which I know is key for a tech setup.

For example, DGX D6 first stage costs $175, HOG D3 is $260, while the Mares 28XR is $465. Is this just a matter of "you get what you pay for?"
What are you using now?
Do you plan to service yourself?
5LP ports aren’t necessary w very few exceptions
Can you convert your current first to DIN?
What is your current first stage?

What are you using now?
Do you plan to service yourself?
5LP ports aren’t necessary w very few exceptions
Can you convert your current first to DIN?
What is your current first stage?

I have an Atomic X2(?) first stage and I do not think it can be converted. I recall looking into this and remember it not being an option. I do not plan to service myself simply because I would not be doing that often enough to be any good at it. I thought the 5th port was the one that is on the top/bottom for doubles.

I have a yoke first stage for years and am thinking about getting my first DIN first stage.
I am considering DIN because it is becoming more common and I really liked using DIN when I took my first tech course and used doubles.

Your line of thinking appears a bit odd when it comes to a first stage with DIN or yoke. The whole purpose of the DIN is to capture and secure the o-ring reducing the possibility of the o-ring blowing, which I have witnessed, three different times, with regs that had yoke retainers. DIN or yoke has nothing to do with anything else in terms of hoses, second stages, routing, or even turrets.

First stages can be converted from yoke to DIN or vice versa, with the latter normally costing more than the other.

Five LP ports are not actually key for tech. None of my tech regs have more than two LP hoses on them. The reg that I use for recreational has four LP hoses attached to it. The fifth port on the bottom, on some regs, simply is for hose routing. For example, the Scubapro Mk25 first stage has a LP port on the bottom so that the LP hoses can be streamlined/tucked in, as in no sharp bends or protrusions, when it is angled.

Atomic X2(?) first stage

I don't think that there is such thing as an "Atomic X2" first stage. You may be confusing it with the B2 or Z2 first stages? At any rate, all of the Atomic first stages can be converted to DIN no issues. You just have to order the DIN connection through a dealer and he will remove the Yoke and put in the DIN connection.

It is my understanding, there most good regulator these days, an avg diver can not tell a difference in breathing unless you are bleow like 250 feet. I owned Atomics, B2, M1 and Z3's for years and have used Aqualung, Apex and Zeagles. I never saw a difference. What that I have sold all of my Atomics expect 2 M1's in the last year for HOG Regulators and saved a few bucks.

I have owned 2 Yokes Atomic (1, B2 and 1 M1 d) and converted them both to DIN, before selling them.

You can convert your Atomic for around $100. It is possible the Z2 (betting your X2 is a Z2) can not be, but worth looking into.

Now, the DGX D6 looks more like the HOG D1. Both are fine regulators.
The HOG D3, essentially a new version, and an excellent regulator. I presently own 6 of them.
All 3 and may others are designed off an older Apex design and may can share parts. (do your research on parts first)

The HOG D3 is a great all around Regulator you can use on Back, Stage, O2, Deco whatever.

There is some debate about using the HOG D1, DGX D3, Atomics, and a few others on any bottle you turn off during the dive. I and many others have done it with no issues.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom