DIN adapter for Aqualung Conshellf XIV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to Conshelf first stages, a regular XIV and an XIV supreme. Will a Titan DIN adapter work with these regs? I'd like to use them for a sidemount setup.

I have a pair of DIN modified Conshelf regs I use in the caves SM. Love them...

Now unfortunately:
Conshelf DIN adapter?

Since I posted that in 2011, I have come up with a couple of ways to adapt the Titan DIN adapter to use it with a Conshelf, a Phoenix, or even a first generation Argonaut Kraken.

Both ways uses an O-ring inside the Titan fitting to create a face seal similar to the tank valve O-ring.

The issue is that the Titan DIN adapter doesn’t have the O-ring groove that you always find in the tank valve interface. There is no real concern of the O-ring extruding or moving when the fitting is pressurized, because the pressure will hold the O-ring in the captured space.

The only issue is that if you use a soft O-ring it could be squished inboard when you are tightening the fitting. There is no inside edge/wall capturing the O-ring from buckling and slipping in. The solution is to use a high durometer/ stiffness O-ring or an even better solution is to put a plastic washer inboard of a 90 durometer O-ring to capturing it from buckling in.

We have used this adaptation many times without any issues.

If you contact Bryan at VintageDoubleHose.com, he should be able to set you up with the parts you need to adapt the Titan DIN adapter to the Conshelf.

Since I posted that in 2011, I have come up with a couple of ways to adapt the Titan DIN adapter to use it with a Conshelf, a Phoenix, or even a first generation Argonaut Kraken.

Both ways uses an O-ring inside the Titan fitting to create a face seal similar to the tank valve O-ring.

The issue is that the Titan DIN adapter doesn’t have the O-ring groove that you always find in the tank valve interface. There is no real concern of the O-ring extruding or moving when the fitting is pressurized, because the pressure will hold the O-ring in the captured space.

The only issue is that if you use a soft O-ring it could be squished inboard when you are tightening the fitting. There is no inside edge/wall capturing the O-ring from buckling and slipping in. The solution is to use a high durometer/ stiffness O-ring or an even better solution is to put a plastic washer inboard of a 90 durometer O-ring to capturing it from buckling in.

We have used this adaptation many times without any issues.

If you contact Bryan at VintageDoubleHose.com, he should be able to set you up with the parts you need to adapt the Titan DIN adapter to the Conshelf.

Love it.

Thank you for the update.

I have to Conshelf first stages, a regular XIV and an XIV supreme. Will a Titan DIN adapter work with these regs? I'd like to use them for a sidemount setup.
I see an Aqualung DIN kit for Conshelf listed and in stock on the b2b site. I don’t know if that Is part of the “military only” exclusion for shops, but it seems to be a straightforward option if you want OEM over figuring something out.

Also, two very different Titan bodies since 1999. Little or no similarity between the DIN parts for each. Then there are two different Titan DIN ACD kits.
I suspect the guidance in other posts is for 1999-2008 version, no idea what version you asked about.

I use an 015 o-ring for the purpose.

It is important not to use the titan configuration with the o-ring at the base. It will, in my experience, extrude, leading to a rapid loss of gas.

Also, two very different Titan bodies since 1999. Little or no similarity between the DIN parts for each. Then there are two different Titan DIN ACD kits.
I suspect the guidance in other posts is for 1999-2008 version, no idea what version you asked about.

You are correct. I was assuming that he was referring to the Titan shown below. That is the only one that I am aware of having a DIN adapter that even resembles the Conshelf DIN adapter.

Titan from Aqua-Lung-Spare-parts-2014-2.jpg

I see an Aqualung DIN kit for Conshelf listed and in stock on the b2b site. I don’t know if that Is part of the “military only” exclusion for shops, but it seems to be a straightforward option if you want OEM over figuring something out.

Can you please expand on that? Where can they be located? I know several (actually a bunch) of divers that would be interested on locating an actual Conshelf DIN adapter.

Thanks

You are correct. I was assuming that he was referring to the Titan shown below. That is the only one that I am aware of having a DIN adapter that even resembles the Conshelf DIN adapter.

View attachment 487367
I think it is pretty safe to say everything Aqualung has or had DIN available, either as kits or ala carte parts. Doesn’t mean they are still available, or had universal distribution. Even Calypso has DIN on the French site, just no indication those versions or parts were ever brought over by Aqualung US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom