Dilemma: Pinnacle Polar vs. Bare Velocity combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

savechief

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a wetsuit, and have found an LDS that carries both Bare and Pinnacle. For the same price (~$300), I can get either:

1) Pinnacle Polar (7/5)
2) Bare Velocity (7/6) + Velocity 5mm hooded, step-in vest

For me, the Pinnacle was a bear to put on. Granted, I only had two attempts at it (a Medium Large, then a Large), and I'm sure that I'd get better, but the Bare was about 10X easier to put on. I think that the chest zip had a lot to do with it. For me, the integrated hood of the Pinnacle is a pro and a con. In SoCal winter waters, I'm sure that I'd need it, with 50'ish degree water. But with waters the way they are now (72F), I probably wouldn't want it. But I also do like less pieces to keep track of. The Bare combo is more flexible in that I could go from a 7/6 to a 12/6 depending on water temperatures. But I would also have to buy a separate hood if the water was too warm for 12/6 but cold enough that I'd need a hood. The Velocity was also less restrictive because it was a bit stretchier, but the properties that allow this also means colder at depth. What to do...

John

I have a Pinnacle Polar and love it!. Have never tried a Bare so I cant comment on it. We dive in water that ranges in temps from 75-77 on the surface to 48-50 at 100ft and the suit is great. It can be a little difficult at times to get on and off but in the water it is as good as my 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch.

I have the Extreme and love the suit. Yes, when it was new it was very difficult getting on, I thought it was too small and the LDS and Pinnacle rep kept saying it was the correct size. After about 10 dives on it, the difficulty went away.

Living in NJ water temps. stay pretty cool. The ocean is still in the 50's now. Even in August & September the local quarry is in the 50's - 60's at depths below 30'. The attahed hood isn't a problem cuz I'd be wearing one anyway :(.

Good luck with your decision.

JR

PS. I love the Merlino wool

I have a Bare Arctic 7mm full suit and 7mm step-in hooded vest. Best off the rack 7mm suit I've ever had. (Although I borrowed a 7mm Hyperstretch and was that ever cool!) I hav used my Bare as low as 35 degree water where I entered through thin ice on the edge of the lake. Not terribly warm, but I made a 25 minute dive and didn't get hypothermia. It seals quite well, very flexible and I love the combination of full suit with step-in hooded vest. The full suits zipper is on the back and the vest is a diagonal front. Comfortable and pretty flexible. I also have a Bare 3mm hooded vest that I use and also combine with my Pinnacle 3mm for water in teh 50-60's range.

I know it's not exactly what you're asking about but hey, I've got insomnia.

Back
Top Bottom