Digital V film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, that is why I will use both film and digital.

wow... weird

just tonight, i was thinking "i haven't seen a film v. digital" thread in a while

for me, it's digital all the way. i am a newbie; it's cheaper; i can take more pictures,
and it's a lot less involved.

cdiver2:

Thanks for the article. The only way to end this war is if Nikon reinvents the Nikonos by upgrading two items on that rangefinder camera body, one a 12mp chip to replace the film and two, a high resolution 3.0 inch TFT display with a hooded shroud. The only drawback today’s Nikonos has is the lack of accurate focusing, the reason why SLRs rule the macro shots.

This would be the UW camera to end all UW cameras/housings, just think, the Nikonos 15mm made for UW wide-angle lens, the lens that no land base lens can touch in regards to edge-to-edge sharpness. The rest of the Nikonos lens, the 20, 28, 35mm would also come to play because of the ability to accurately focus on the image. Nikon would have to make a 100 and 50mm UW rangefinder macro or stick to the extension tubes, less the FRAMERS!

And the fact that it still would be a rangefinder, no clunky mirror, simpler design, bright lenses, the mirror in the SLR/DSLR adds distance to between the lens and film/sensor, making the D/SLR lenses design more complicated.

With a simpler lens design, minimum amount of lens elements, the rangefinder will have a much better focus and RESOLUTION than any of the D/SLRs.

One big point the article missed was the difference in viewfinders between the very large, Pro SLR's actionfinders and the some what small viewfinders of the lower end DSLRs.

I sure hope Nikon is listening.

Its a nice thought....but Nikon lost too much money on our very small underwater market and i don't see them ever going into underwater stuff again, market is tiny in the big picture

Mike Veitch:
Yes but the arguments are soooo very entertaining on boards like this :)

Congratulations on your magazine cover shot. From your last comment (thread that is now erased) you made it sound like your agency posted a sign on their door saying “Only accepting pictures from D70s, PS and esp. 8080 need not apply”.

I would like to think that it was your skill and the fact that you using a 105mm macro lens that got you the cover, and not because of the D70. The 105mm is one of the greatest advantages the SLRs have over the PS esp. 8080, that is why I will still be using my 105 on my F3.

Dive Safe

Mike Veitch:
Its a nice thought....but Nikon lost too much money on our very small underwater market and i don't see them ever going into underwater stuff again, market is tiny in the big picture

Good Point, yes the Nikonos RS was a waste of time.

Digital is just fine for me, I would hate to have to surface once or twice every dive to change film :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom