Digital Reccomendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Malibu, CA is where I spend most of my dive time.
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am wanting to go digital for my undersea photo work, would be VERY interested in opinions on gear.

Specificly, I want a camera that has macro capability, either internally or with an add on lens, will take publishable quality photos, (At least 8x10), and will take an external flash, ttl. Also, the flash and housing reccommendations.

Any combos and info on them will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think many cameras can do what you specify below, there's heaps of info in other threads on this board. I can however mention to you that I have the Canon s30 with housing - from what i've read on the board, there isn't a red filter for it, and no strobe for it . . . .but you should check this out. I've also heard that some of the Sony cameras have quite a weak internal flash . . . my camera has a great flash.

What's your budget like? I think generally people will stick with Olympus, Canon, Nikon and Sony for underwater digital camera.
Oly, Canon and I think Sony make their own housing which make starting cost a bit more affordable as 3rd party housing can be anywhere from $500-1000+ while those by Oly, Sony etc are significantly less.
For what you need, anything from 4 mega pixel and up should be just fine. Oly C-4000,4040 (if you can find one), 5050 would all work. I don't know too much about Sony and Canon. Nikon Coolpix 5000 would be nice but the housing make it a bit cost prohibitive in comparison to Oly.
Personally I use Oly C-4040, Ikelite housing, Ikelite DS-125 strobe, Inon wide angle lens and just got an Inon UCL-165 macro lens yesterday. It should meet all of your criteria very well.

You can do a search here for starter camera, new to photography, etc. and get lots of info.

But basically Oly and Canon are the front runners. I have the Oly C-4040, PT-10, S&S YS90DX strobe, S&S WAL L. I can't say for sure about the Canon, but the Oly 4 or 5 MP cameras would meet your criteria. The PT-XOXO housings are affordable and well made. Your strobe attached via a velcro patch and fiber optic cable. If you have to have TTL and a hot wire connection, you'll have to go with Ikelite or one of the other more expensive choices.

Hello,

Before any recomendations we would need to know what level of photography are aiming for? That one question alone will make a huge difference in gear recomendations.

Ed

I am a working professional above the water, I'd like to sell a few undersea pieces, as well.

I am looking hard at Nikon, they are who I use for my work cameras, and possibly an Ikelite housing.

Anyone using a set up like this?

The Nikon 5000 in a Tetra housing is sure getting lots of attention. You might want to check with Digital Diver or Wet Pixel for the particulars on some of the more professional set-up being used. Fuji and Canon also have some nice set-ups.

PhotoTJ,

If your looking for a sub-sea counterpart then look at the nikon D100 or D1x and an aqatica housing. The problem with other housings like ikelite is the viewfinder is smaller. The pro lineup of housings features larger viewfinders.

Ed

If you want true quality 8x10s or larger prints from a digital camera, be prepared to shovel out serious $$$ (over $1250 for the camera) for a top of the line camera and a storage solution that will allow to record a good amount of info because you arent gonna be using a lot compression (you will need 512MB cards at least i would think)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom