Digital copies of Reef Fish (etc.); practical? Alternatives for lightweight travel fish and creature id?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb

Contributor
Reaction score
What has your experience been on actually using digital copies of the "Humann" (New World Publications; fishid.com) books? We're accustomed to carrying 10 to 15 pounds of their books on trips, but that's increasingly unwieldy.

How practical are the PDFs on an iPad for the post-dive lunchtime log&identify session? Our usual drill is to get the raw photos from the dive onto an iPad, and have it up while madly flipping through the books; is this likely to be a practical workflow for the digital books?

In an older thread, @tursiops remarked...
You can purchase digital copies of all the Reef ID books by Humann and others. Except for the Smithsonian apps for iOS, everything else that is free is either very limited or not very good.
...and @tridacna also said...
I have the electronic editions of Reef Fish ID by Humann and Deloach and a few others. They are horrible to use. Really poor implementation.

...any new entrants, or further thoughts? Thanks.

(In an attempt to contribute as well as bleg, from various threads I have accumulated (but not curated) the following links.)

The Smithsonian apps:
...and sites:

iNaturalist app and site:

Other sites:

Ryanskiy books and ebooks:

This may not be relevant to you, but I refuse to shell out the money for files that are only viewable in Adobe Digital Editions. There are various reasons, but the most practical is that I run linux on my non-mobile devices, and Adobe does not support that. I also don't want to be at the mercy of Adobe for access to materials I paid for.

This may not be relevant to you, but I refuse to shell out the money for files that are only viewable in Adobe Digital Editions. There are various reasons, but the most practical is that I run linux on my non-mobile devices, and Adobe does not support that. I also don't want to be at the mercy of Adobe for access to materials I paid for.
Usually agree; in the cases where I do get them, I always remove the DRM to remove such concerns.

“d^2b:
Worse diving through photography
Me too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom