Digital Cameras >7MP?; For Ease of Use, Etc. Photogs???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowboyneal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've been using an Olympus C-750 Ultra-Zoom w/ PT-018 housing to click around and have fun. I remember once a few years ago buying all the 35mm Nikonos stuff and lights and everything on ebay, then sold it all back because it scared the hell out of me (ha). I am not a pro photog, so I appreciate ease of use and etc., but I want to start getting some better stuff while I'm out there (anything worth doing is worth doing better, I always say) so, what do you photogs say?

What would you recommend as being somewhat of the way to a pro setup? I don't mind having to buy accessories and etc., but I don't want to have to pay an extra $25 on every plane trip just for my camera equipment either. So many choices...I'll take any guidance I can get (and be grateful for it). Thanks in advance.

Cowboy Neal

Oops...probably should have put this in underwater photography...a little help there little green people???

First, have a poke around this forum and the sub forums by brand as there have been many people buying new systems for the summer and lots of good information has been put out there.

Second, what type of budget do you have, what type of shots do you like, how often do you dive, where do you dive most often...questions like these help others point you down a narrower path!

If you don't want to carry a ton of gear with you, then a dslr is not for you. There are many compacts out there capable of great things - especially when you add an external strobe and lenses.

As an all-rounder the Canon A series is a workhorse and perfectly capable of meeting the needs of a wide variety of divers. Fuji makes the 900 (and 810) which do excellent macro with the add on lenses and respectible shots without them. Olympus has the 350, which I haven't used yet, and there is at least one long thread about that model here. I still have and love my Olympus 5050 and if you can find one, still think it's an excellent rig.

All cameras have advantages and disadvantages so just find the one that comes closest to your needs and budget...then you can learn to make the most of the positives and find ways to work around the negatives.

Happy shopping!

Only one opinion? A scubaboard first!

I am not worried about the price - I don't go looking around for too many microscopic things (although if I happen upon one, I'd like to try to get a shot of it). I log too many dives/yesr to count, mostly in warm, equatorial waters with lots o things swimming arond (and that and the coral formations are what I like to take pictures of most). I want something a little more North of the "instamatic" versions (like I'd be able to set correct ISO and stuff like that) but I don't think I need to spend $2000 on a camera either (although I could imagine spending that much on the camera and all the toys that go with it)...

So your looking for a Prosumer camera and a housing and a strobe?

My area is Canon; G6 or Powershot Pro1... they both allow you to manipulate all the settings of a Dslr... Oly's have some good models too.

Housing would be Ikelite. Find a couple of cameras that get your attention and then search Ike for a compatible housing, they offer TTL connections too.

Strobe? Your best bet for just getting some added light would be Ikelite DS-50, smaller and more compact than the others. Can be hardwired to housing to provide a direct connection to the hot shoe, or the Manual Controller to adjust power/act as a slave.

Thanks Alcina and Havn!

Back
Top Bottom