Digital Camera push buttons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone build/design your own push button plungers for the back controls on most digital still cameras? I seem to recall seeing a post from someone who'd copied the Ikelite/Olympus housing style buttons but, I can't find it.

I tried the Ikelite sight, but they won't sell the parts. (only service their own).

I have a project that requires 6-8 sealed push button plungers.

Mike D

It's pretty easy to build copies of Ikelite ones, but you do need a lathe. It's not a particularly precise operation, so it's suitable for a beginner project if you want.

I've had no problem getting Ikelite parts through a dealer, but they are pretty overpriced for what you end up with. The better and cheaper way is to scour eBay for broken/used/obsolete housings and salvage. I've had $30-$50 housings yield loads of useful parts that can be recycled or improved upon.

Yes Thanks Camerone,

This is a project at work, I need to be able is supply drawings & specs & issue a PO for parts,
For a prototype, by the end of the month. I wanted to shorten the cycle by ordering the parts and having our machine shop machine the mating housing.
Ikelite refused to supply to us, just stating the parts are not available.
I can readily design the buttons, that's not the problem, time is.

I was hoping to find a quick of-the shelf solution.

Mike D

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to build copies of Ikelite ones, but you do need a lathe. It's not a particularly precise operation, so it's suitable for a beginner project if you want.

please tell me how, hawe you done this yourself? what parts will i need? do you hawe pictures? best regards edward

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom