Digital Camera Just for Fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raposarose

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking about a Christmas gift for someone and I have considered getting an underwater digital camera. I guess it is even better if it is useful as a point and click camera out of water too. I don't have a huge budget, but I am wondering if there is something out there for under $300. It doesn't have to be something serious, just something to take a few interesting pictures to remember the dives. Of course, it shouldn't be so bad that it is not even worth the money in the first place though.

If digital at this price range is out of the question, is there some sort of rudimentary film camera that you would suggest. Sorry I am such a novice regarding these issues. Any help is great, or even if you just want to point me at the issues I should be looking for when I consider cameras.

Thank you very much!

You should be able to get a good little system for that money...check out the Canon A75 (or similar) (about $170 at Amazon, I think) and the housings are around $170, too. You can also check Ebay.

You'll need to get a bigger card, but there are some relatively inexpensive pretty big cards out there now...if you can't go overbudget that much for the extra cards and rechargeable batteries the person receiving the gift won't be looking at hundreds of dollars. Or you could talk to others looking to buy for the same person and suggest cards and batteries as stocking stuffers/gifts :)

A friend of mine just asked the same question, so I checked Digital Photography Reviews and Steve's Digicams . Both sides are full of good info and reviews of cameras, probably more detailed than you ever want. Have a look at the first two pages (description of features and layout), then read the conclusion. If you still like a model might as well read what's in between. :wink:

Steve's also has a good listing of all reviewed models with basic specs (date, MP, price etc.). Anyway, for my friend's a 3MP camera will do just fine, and her budget is just a little less than yours.

Those would be the Nikon Coolpix 3200, Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Xg, Canon powershot A75 or SD110 and Olympus Camedia D-5400. Sony's current 3 MP model hasn't been reviewed yet. I used the P5 (decent) and P8 (very good) and have a 5 MP P10 myself (even better :wink: ), so you might want to have a look at the P73, too.

Canon, Olympus and Sony offer UW housings, you just need to check for the model you're looking at.

raposarose:
Hi all,

I am thinking about a Christmas gift for someone and I have considered getting an underwater digital camera.

Thank you very much!

Remember, the best, hottest, newest, kewlest camera is worthless if they don't take it with them.

I had a killer Oly 5050 - just about the best, most flexible P&S there is. I moved to a Nikon D70 and gave the 5050 to my wife. She loved it, but it was too big for a "purse cam" so it sat at home. For her birthday, I got her a little Sony.

She takes it everywhere. She takes more images than I do... and she LOVES it. In almost everyway, that Sony doesn't stand up to the Oly - but because she uses it, its the best cam for the job.

Don't get sucked into Mega Pixel wars. A 3 meg cam will produce beautiful images at 4X6".... the size over 90% of the people in the country print. You can surely spend $300 and get an excellent 3 meg cam.

Look for the longest optical zoom you can find. You find a 5X optical zoom (or more) you're going to get mad lovin. Most people miss their zoom lens when they go to a P&S digital camera. If its to be a dedicated UW cam, the zoom isn't that important. My guess is it will get used dry more than wet - most do.

Enjoy!

---
Ken

Circuit City just ran a TV commercial that all 3 MP cameras are on sale right now, including some of the brands I mentioned earlier. :wink:

Thanks for the info. Now I've got some research to do! It sounds like I should definitely be able to find her something in the price range. I'll take your advice and get something that is a nice, compact size too. Yes it will certainly get used more dry, but I think she'll have a lot of fun using it on our dives too.

Best wishes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom