Digital Advice?- Trying to Kill 2 birds...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sigelr

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Sea & Sea MX-10 w/ strobe which works ok but have the usual mixed results (some great, some so-so and some bad) in my uw pictures. I'm no photo expert (probably closer to point and shoot type then a tech wiz) so results could be due to my faults as much as camera limitations. However, our family 35mm camera just died and my wife is open to the idea of going digital. So, I'm trying to look for a digital camera that my wife will like but that could also double as an underwater camera for my occaisonal dive trips.
In my ideal fantasy world I'd like to get a digital camera with at least 4 mp, the ability to shoot small things close-up (flowers, nudibranchs etc.), optical zoom and internal flash with the ability to add an external flash/strobe and underwater housing later. Of course, my fantasy includes not spending a fortune either!!! Any thoughts,suggestions,ideas???

I'm not sure what you consider a fortune. Here's the deal I came up with for my digital cameral needs.

Canon Powershot s45 - $450
Canon underwater housing - $160
Memory cards - $100 or so depending on how much you get

The camera has all the features you are looking for and more. It can be set on automatic mode where it does all the thinking for you or you can use it in manual mode and set everything yourself. I have only taken it on 1 dive trip. I noticed you can get about 2 dives on a battery charge. You can purchase a strobe for it I believe but I don't know anything about it. PM me if you would like me to send you a few sample shots.

I would help if we knew what your budget is. As already mentioned Canon has a good package. Also look into Olympus C-4000 (4MP) or even the C-3040 (3MP). The both fall into the same budget as the Canon mentioned. Plus you have several options for an external strobe later. Although a strobe make a huge difference, you can still take excellent shots without one. Digital cameras have extremely bright internal flashes, much more so than your MX-10 you're used to. (I still have one of those!)

Digital is the way to go!

Thanks for the input - I don't have a specific budget (somehwere between the best there is and what my wife will let me get away with!) but in my mind I was thinking somewhere in the $300-$500 range for the camera and then, hopefully not too much more for the housing and strobe later after she gets over the initial shock.

You should be able to get either the Oly 3040 or 4000 in that range. Housing will depend on where you buy it but I'd count on $250 on the outside.

what's the difference between the 4000 and the 4040?

The biggest difference is the 4040 is no longer in production! :wink:

The 4000 does not have the f/1.8 bright lens that the 4040 has, it's a f/2.8. The 4000 has several custom 'My Mode' buttons, the 4040 has one, but it doesn't have sound with it's video, and there are several technical differences that, to me, made the 4040 a better choice. Although I did buy mine before the 4000 came out.

Check Steve's Digi-Cam site for a review of cameras. This page give you the 4MP choices. You'll see the differences and decide for yourself.

I like Olympus cameras in and out of the water. They are super easy to use, yet powerful if you want to get complicated. Look for them online at Amazon or Ebay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom